Sign in to follow this  
Big Adam

Budget Coilovers

I understand that many people reading this will think budget coilovers are the work of the devil :hitler:

im lookin for a set of coilivers for my early 16v C, as much as i would like a nice new shinny set of quality coilies, my current sittuation wont allow me.

i seen these on flea bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAMEX-Coilover-Su ... 4ced328c64

anybody had any experiance with these or have an oppinion on them? :shrug:

if they are not worth scrap, any suggestions?

or someone want to try and flog me a set bearing in mind im tight arsed :help:

I got mine for 150 quid.

They're the other ebay ones, TA Technix, endlessly adjustable height wise and i have no real problem with them. Yes they're a bit bouncy but with decent tyres they're more than bearable.

No idea what exactly the Jamex ones are like unluckily but i thought i'd give you my 2p on those. :)

I have a JOM coilovers on my 20VT and they were fine for my until I have driven a Corrado with KW2 set up. Its a day/night difference.

Jom - hard as suppose to be and that's all. Car is bouncing and handling not as was on KW.

I have a Koni (not coilovers) suspension in my VR6 and is as good as KW but miles better then JOM or similar 200-300 pounds one. Car sticks to road on the corners as should not like on JOM's.

If you're going to go to the hassle of buying something for £300 and spending a day swapping them over and another £50 on an alignment, why not just save up an extra £200 and get something in a different league. That's my humble opinion anyway.

People don't buy budget brakes or budget steering so why buy budget suspension?

I bought the Jamex ones off Ebay, had them on the car about 4 months no probs with them yet.

They are wound down quite far and are firm, the thing is Im also on a budget and I knew what I was buying and are what I expected for the money.

Think you deffinatly get what you pay for with coilovers so buy the best you can afford. :)

If you're going to go to the hassle of buying something for £300 and spending a day swapping them over and another £50 on an alignment, why not just save up an extra £200 and get something in a different league. That's my humble opinion anyway.

2nded.

Really I have been here before and went through 3 different set of springs and coilovers (good quality ones too) before I found a set I was happy with.

I have a Koni (not coilovers) suspension in my VR6 and is as good as KW but miles better then JOM or similar 200-300 pounds one. Car sticks to road on the corners as should not like on JOM's.

Koni adjustables? What springs are you using?

Koni dump adjustable. There are eibach springs as fas as I can remember, some sort of standard high or max -20mm

jamex are ok, the ones with the blue spring and helper spring on the front, my springs have now rusted after 9 months, and the rears make a arcing noise like a seal when on rough uneven ground, after endless faffing around i put up with it, didnt get this with my original vw suspension, could be a common trait with coilover?

Koni dump adjustable. There are eibach springs as fas as I can remember, some sort of standard high or max -20mm

Nice one, do you have a link for the dampers or any idea how much they cost?

Sorry for the thread hi jack but after owning cheap coilivers I've come to the conclusion your better off spending the money on a decent shock and spring setup and sacrifice height adjustment. Had adjustable Koni shocks on an old civic and they were incredible!

x3

They look exactly the same as the v-maxx. As said above, they're bouncy but bearable. But again, as already said... for only an extra £200 you could get something ALOT better. I wasted £350 on the v-maxx and got rid after about 2 months and speaking from experience what i replaced them with are so much better.

x3

They look exactly the same as the v-maxx. As said above, they're bouncy but bearable. But again, as already said... for only an extra £200 you could get something ALOT better. I wasted £350 on the v-maxx and got rid after about 2 months and speaking from experience what i replaced them with are so much better.

Arrrrrrrrrgh :censored: :censored: !!!!

Nice one, do you have a link for the dampers or any idea how much they cost?

Sorry for the thread hi jack but after owning cheap coilivers I've come to the conclusion your better off spending the money on a decent shock and spring setup and sacrifice height adjustment. Had adjustable Koni shocks on an old civic and they were incredible!

Don't have a link. I only know they worth about 150 quid used but have no idea how much new. All what I can give You is picture of them. If You look in my vr6 in members gallery You will see them.

back away from the budget coilies!

my C is on 17s with 205/40/17 rubber, and wound 3/4 down on the ebay special coils, ride is harder than bruce lee!

Looks awesome, but handling is sketchy at high speed on corners etc, only takes the slightest bump to really throw you off!

unless you have a habit of picking up hot women with huge boobs in tight tops, and can drive whilst looking constantly at the pass seat, imho its just not worth it!

only reason i aint swapping mine out is cos im saving for a G!

x3

Arrrrrrrrrgh :censored: :censored: !!!!

What???! :shrug:

Yeah i've thought about going down the cheap route with coilovers but i cant see the point. Almost everyone complains about them and then just spends more time and even more money finding something to replace them with (which almost always turns out to be kw v1's!)

unless you have a habit of picking up hot women with huge boobs in tight tops, and can drive whilst looking constantly at the pass seat, imho its just not worth it!

only reason i aint swapping mine out is cos im saving for a G!

YEH :grin: i wish!

iv taken all the advice onboard and decided to avoid the budget coilovers n save up for a good set, just have to ride with my arse in the air for a while but from what your sayin it will be worth it :norty:

cheers for this guys :salute:

The cheapo coilovers serve a purpose. They do me fine.

Mine really aren't as bad as people make out.

guessing he just bought a set??

Yeah just read another one of his posts on another thread. :?

sorry Guys - was just venting :lol: it was in relation to the V-Maxx coiler kit I'm getting.

despite my last post, am I right in thinking v-maxx, while not being V-1's, aren't really 'cheapo coliovers'??

I'd hardly say £360 - £400 coilovers are in the 'pay less, pay twice' catagory :scratch:

I will of course inform on how the ride quality is once their on :salute:

In coilover terms i personally,speaking from experience, would put them in the budget catagory. BUT youre right £350-£400 is still alot of money. Like i said in my other thread try them, they may be ok for you. :D

I'm running Jamex coilovers and cant complain, bought them brand new for £120. They are firm but are still a significant imporvment over standard shocks with lowering springs as fitted by previous owner - in terms of both handling and comfort. Ideally one day I'd like to change them for KW's so the comfort is a bit better, but personally I only paid £2000 for the whole car so couldnt justify spending £500 on coilovers.

if its not worth the £200 on a budget set as the ride is not too good, then what do people favour as the best value for money set? for when your on a budget but cant afford the top of the range but would rather stump a bit more than the ebay jobbies?

if its not worth the £200 on a budget set as the ride is not too good, then what do people favour as the best value for money set? for when your on a budget but cant afford the top of the range but would rather stump a bit more than the ebay jobbies?

what that man said :grin: