Sign in to follow this  
Topaz2008

Wavetrac LSD Fitting Progress (More Pics Added)

Now that the Wavetrac group buy is over I thought I would post up some pictures of the Diff being installed into my new gearbox :D

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfo2a gearbox (13).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]Book1.pdfo2a gearbox (16).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfo2a gearbox (17).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]ETKA Corrado.pdfo2a gearbox (18).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfo2a gearbox (19).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]Corrado92.pdfo2a gearbox (14).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfo2a gearbox (15).jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]

More to follow as the build progresses :D :D

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfPicture 015.jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPicture 016.jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]Picture 017.jpg[/attachment:3chrbn4b]

A few more pictures above

Ooh looks so good doesn't it! Shame it had to be hidden forever!

Mine is getting fitted for me on Thursday evening by a friends friend: will be interested to see if any extra parts are needed?

Should be fine depending on what you are doing. My box has had a complete overhaul, all bearings as well so a few extra parts were need on top of the obvious. If you are just fitting the diff and have the fitting kit thats all you should need :)

Don't you need shims to preload the bearings or have I just misunderstood something I've read in the past.

Don't you need shims to preload the bearings or have I just misunderstood something I've read in the past.

Yes you do but the diff needs to be fitted into the box first. The float is then measured with a DTI. The diff is then removed and the correct size shims fitted. My old shim was the correct size.

Sometimes you can get away with reusing the factory one/s if you're lucky :D

If not, then it's a lengthy process of building it, dial guaging it, stripping it, shimming it, building it, dial guaging it and so!

You're tempting me to do this myself now as I can borrow the gauges etc. from work. So my question is do you think that's wise considering I've never opened a gearbox before. My mate is a mechanic who would also be there and I'm not exactly shy with the spanners. :pale:

Don't suppose you could tell me what other bearings you replaced as well. There doesn't appear to be that many from the pictures.

And worst comes to worst my mates work mate has done a fair bit of gearbox work so could put it back together.

You're tempting me to do this myself now as I can borrow the gauges etc. from work. So my question is do you think that's wise considering I've never opened a gearbox before. My mate is a mechanic who would also be there and I'm not exactly shy with the spanners. :pale:

Don't suppose you could tell me what other bearings you replaced as well. There doesn't appear to be that many from the pictures.

And worst comes to worst my mates work mate has done a fair bit of gearbox work so could put it back together.

This is not something I have ever tried before but my brother has re-built many VW boxes and he is doing the work :clap: and sends me the pictures :lol:

We bought our bearings from a guy on Ebay we have used before http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/fasttrackbearings/ His kits comprise of all bearings (including diff) and seals required. If you check his listings for 02A boxes you will see all the bearings that he supplys.

In fairness all of the bearings that were changed in this box looked to be in good order but I wanted everything overhauled while it was in pieces. I purchased a new speedo gear as well and a few other bolts and clips from VW. My Wavetrac only came with the ARP bolt kit as I had everything else.

I would suggest you take advantage of your friend with gearbox experience as I am told that some of the gears that required a puller to remove them were very tight and without the correct tools the gears could have been damaged. The Bentley manual is quite handy as it has info on the gearbox as well.

At last the new gearbox is in the car. Spent the morning installing the new gearbox and I am very pleased with results. The car drives much better with the power delivery on bends a whole lot better. I can get more power down on the road as well. Has anyone else fitted there's yet ? What are the results?

Mines in but have yet to drive so cant comment looking forward to the drive back from kidderminster though :D

Mine is in too! Still sorting a few running issues out with the rebuild but had a good blast earlier and it seems pretty damn good! Gives so much grip round roundabouts. Looking forward to giving it a proper pasting :)