Sign in to follow this  
funky

20v turbo

im toying with the idea of fitting a 20v turbo into my g60

there are so many types of this engine and im after some advice of course the 225bhp tt motor would be favourite but perhaps a little expensive

are the 150 bhp 180 bhp motors tunable ?

what engine management would be best ?

tia

funky

I think the main difference is the turbo, on the 225 engines they use a bigger turbo and both 180&150 engines they use a smaller turbo

Both 150&180 turbod engines can be tuned to around 220 tops on the standard turbo, 225 turbod engines can be tuned to around 285 on the standard turbo

There some differences on early/late 20vt blocks, but im pretty sure you could use the bigger turbo on any 20vt block

Mine uses the standard ecu that came out of the 150bhp golf along with the engine and gearbox, I know some other 20vt owners use an aftermarket ecu, could'nt tell you which one is best

Jabbasport do a 350bhp IHI turbo kit for all 20vt engines and they have alot of info on all 20vt engines, take a look:

http://www.jabbasport.com/

The TT 225 hp engine is stronger, internals are beefed up, bigger injectors and compression is different to 180hp. There are loads of available kits for these, 400whp are achiavable on stock internals and 25-30 psi of boost. Many 180hp enignes are pushed to nearly 400whp stock internals but with the tt 225 engine you would see higher numbers and be safer, these power figures are of course with different turbos like TO4 ang Gt35 series.

Difference in the motors the way I understand it is the 150/180 motors are 9.5:1 and have std pistong and con-rods. They run the K03 turbo.

The 210+ motors - IE: Leon Cupra R's, S3, TT 225 etc run 9:1 compression with forged lower comp pistons and forged con-rods. Naturally given the lower compression the cat will have a little less torque, but ultimatly will produce big power far more reliably.

If you look at http://www.jabbasport.com they pretty much quote the same figures once you replace the turbo to their IHI regardless of the motor. That said though - naturally the 9,5:1 compression motors will be under more strain for the same power.

Basically if you are not wanting more than about 250 then the 150/180 motor is fine. Wanting more in the 300 region - although possible with the 150/180 motor - you should really look at the 210+HP motor.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Leon

I thought all 20vt blocks have forged pistons and con rods

nope, definately wrong. the higher rated units have much stronger rods than the golf ones - they look crap in comparison

tt

But the golf ones are still forged right?, jus not as strong as the higher rated ones?

correct, like i said the 180hp stock engine can take up to 400whp

Can take it... Im sure it could take 500 too... all about how long. At 9.5 that will be running considerably higher comp once boosted and will put the con-rods under far more stress. Given they are not as strong as the 200+ HP motors, this is where it will fail!!

Given that most of us will never even consider close to 400HP (You would be stupid to - I got over 300 and it is just insane) it probably does not matter what you do. :mrgreen:

well you can always get forged rods and some nice forged pistons.400whp is way to much for a daily driven front wheel drive car but i would love it, why have 300 when you can have 400!

Theres actually 3 turbo units :oops:

K03 on the 150bhp

K03s on the 180bhp

and K04 on the 210+bhp

Funky..

Ive converted my G60..to a 20v.. its well worth it... go for the 225 lump and save yourself at lt of hassle .. to be honest you wont have alot of cars going past you with 270 bhp ... forget about evo's and scoobies on the motorway they just cant keep up even with 380 bhp conversion runing anti lag ..i know as my freind has evo 6 extreme.

Andy

How much have you guys been quoted for a 225bhp lump?

To be honest Bally .. if you have a TT lump you shouldn't run more than 18 psi just over 1.1 bar.. as the heat build up is stupid as the turbos so small.. this will give you around 270-280 bhp .. but this will tail of on the higher end of the rev range.. to be pushing 400 whp horse power from standard internals is it bit pie in the sky unless your running some mad octane fuel.. forge pistons and conrods are a must if you want big power..

Cheers for the replies guys.. just as I thought, best get saving then... :)

Andy, any pics of your car with the lump etc?

Don't you all miss the sound of you chargers though?

I know I do, the higher my G60 revved the better it sounded. The 20v just sounds crap.

I know they are the 'latest thing' in the VW tuning world but there is a lot to be said for a well tuned G60 engine, especially with the crossflow conversion nearing completion and big intercooler kits more readily availlable etc.

Just my opinion.

The 20v just sounds crap.

especially with the crossflow conversion nearing completion and big intercooler kits more readily availlable etc.

Just my opinion.

:-P :-P

yeah yeah

Don't you all miss the sound of you chargers though?

I know I do, the higher my G60 revved the better it sounded. The 20v just sounds crap.

no no no no no!! :-P

mine makes a whole new variety of noises now :p