Sign in to follow this  
NewbridgeJob

PAS Pump Belt Tensioner/Pulley issue

Hi im going to attempt to replace my PAS pump as its knackered. I just need to find out how to loosen the belt thats connected to the pulley on the pump.

Am i right in thinking that the tensioner for this is the one at the top of the alternator which then feeds down to the other belts?

Any tips on replacement would be appreciated

Cheers

Which engine is it? If for a 16v which has a separate belt for the PAS (alternator runs off a different belt), there's a tensioner underneath the car by the PAS pump, although I just remove the fiddly bolts that mounts the pump on and go from there

Which engine is it? If for a 16v which has a separate belt for the PAS (alternator runs off a different belt), there's a tensioner underneath the car by the PAS pump, although I just remove the fiddly bolts that mounts the pump on and go from there

Yeah just 16v mate. So you think its easier to just take the 3 bolts that attach the pulley to the pump and just slide it out?

Nope, the actual pump itself is mounted by i think 4 bolts, a couple are really fiddly and frustrating. Once it's loosened off you'll have enough slack to slide the belt off. I can't remember if you have to put the pulley onto your new pump, but it is a right b!tch trying to remove those 3 bolts you mentioned! I had to do it before for one reason or another and it was not fun :gag:

btw, what symptoms do you have to make you think its knackered? If it's just whiney then first thing you could do is give it a good bleeding, failing that you could try and play around with the belt tension 8)

Nope, the actual pump itself is mounted by i think 4 bolts, a couple are really fiddly and frustrating. Once it's loosened off you'll have enough slack to slide the belt off. I can't remember if you have to put the pulley onto your new pump, but it is a right b!tch trying to remove those 3 bolts you mentioned! I had to do it before for one reason or another and it was not fun :gag:

btw, what symptoms do you have to make you think its knackered? If it's just whiney then first thing you could do is give it a good bleeding, failing that you could try and play around with the belt tension 8)

It's been leaking for ages- I havent sourced the leak but its definitely coming from the pump somewhere. Over the last couple of weeks its started whining and now its really bad.

I've got a new one now anyway that i got off someone on here for £20 so i may aswell replace it.

You do have to swap the pulley over as mine hasnt got one.