Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Strange oil temp behaviour

Oil temps have been fine since I took ownership of the car but after getting it back from the bodyshop for rear end paint this week the temps have been lower and the gauge less accurate at least measured against the previous few weeks.

I've noticed the following -

From cold the oil temp is not warming up as quick

When stood and the water temp allowed to creep up to about 105 deg the oil temp sits at about 98-100 deg where before it would be 104-106 deg

Driving after letting the car stand the oil temp seems very slow to come back down, 5 mins of gentle driving the water temp is down to 85 deg and the oil temp still sitting at about 100 deg where it would normally drop to 94-96 deg.

There has been nothing done to the engine or front end whilst it's been at the bodyshop for 3 days so it's probably a coincidence.

I've fitted a new VAG oil temp sender with no success. Now I'm thinking it could be the gauge that's faulty.

The cooling system apart from a dodgy aux water pump (not working since I've had the car) is working ok.

Anyone?

Thanks

Its unlikely the gauge is at fault.

I'd try a new thermostat as this can cause the symptom you describe - water temp taking a while to get up. Also can cause over cooling as the thermostat is constantly open, but 85 on the water isnt that bad.

I'd try a new thermostat as this can cause the symptom you describe - water temp taking a while to get up. Also can cause over cooling as the thermostat is constantly open, but 85 on the water isnt that bad.

Thermostat is about 6 weeks old and is a a VAG item.

I'm not concerned at all about water temps, it bothers me that the oil temps have dropped by about 4-6 degs across all running conditions.

Thermostat is about 6 weeks old and is a a VAG item.

I'm not concerned at all about water temps, it bothers me that the oil temps have dropped by about 4-6 degs across all running conditions.

I wouldnt worry about it, could be down to the cooling system working better or the weather being different.