Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Drifting rear end

3cms movement, feckin ell the car would be all over the shop with that much slop!!

A wheel bearing wobble is more subtle, but still noticable if it's too slack if you shake the wheel (car on the ground). It also gives a feeling of the car drifting round at the back, inconsistent turn-in (worse on the side that has the loosest bearing) and any other wobbling / sloppishness feelings.....

After replacement, rear wheel bearings should ideally be checked and adjusted after a few hundred miles. It takes a lot of experience to get the precise clearance first time, every time!

3CMs = 3CorsaMeal's :) - but in his video on page 1 i would say it was definitely 3cms movement too!

3CMs = 3CorsaMeal's :) - but in his video on page 1 i would say it was definitely 3cms movement too!

PMSL, what a dork I am :lol:

I'm getting worse. I really struggle to understand a lot of internet acronyms and phrases these days. For instance, what does "1ered" mean in relation to beating someone in a race? :shrug:

I'm getting old :D

For instance, what does "1ered" mean in relation to beating someone in a race? :shrug:

I'm getting old :D

Have you been moonlighting on unsuitable forums again Kev? Sounds like a scooby comment. LOL

I don't get the forums where they talk about one upmanship; today I beat a Ferrari and all that nonsense. Either the otehr driver was not interested / he was bedding in his £5k tyres / or he was a really poor driver. In eitehr case it reflects nothing upon your skill or your car when you nip past/away from what is clearly a quicker car - even with yuor clipon halfords exhaust tip.

:cuckoo:

Kev, rear hub; is it the case that you can jack the rear up, and give the wheel a waggle - trying to make it turn. If you feel any play/knock then it needs a tiny nip up? (based on we've ascertained his bearings are new). Too much and the bearings will soon crack up?

Have you been moonlighting on unsuitable forums again Kev? Sounds like a scooby comment. LOL

I don't get the forums where they talk about one upmanship; today I beat a Ferrari and all that nonsense. Either the otehr driver was not interested / he was bedding in his £5k tyres / or he was a really poor driver. In eitehr case it reflects nothing upon your skill or your car when you nip past/away from what is clearly a quicker car - even with yuor clipon halfords exhaust tip.

:cuckoo:

Kev, rear hub; is it the case that you can jack the rear up, and give the wheel a waggle - trying to make it turn. If you feel any play/knock then it needs a tiny nip up? (based on we've ascertained his bearings are new). Too much and the bearings will soon crack up?

Yeah I did see that on a different forum as it happens :lol: In relation to some chap thinking his chipped 120d was so much quicker than a Cayman S just because it matched the Porsche over a little stretch of road. It turned into a 12 page thread bashing him. You think this forum is bad, jesus, there are some right a holes out there!!

Anyhooooo....

If the rear bearings are seriously mega ultra way off the correct adjustment, you can literally just walk up to the car, grab the tyre, shake it and you will feel a 'wobble' sensation in the wheel as the body shuffles about on the bearing's play - if the stupidly long sentence makes any sense? :D

If so, jack her up and do the usual bearing adjustment procedure, yawn.... it's tedious.

When cold, and jacked up, the wheel should have the slightest bit of wobble in it. If it wobbles around badly, you can even hear it clonking on the stub axle!

Yeah I did see that on a different forum as it happens :lol: In relation to some chap thinking his chipped 120d was so much quicker than a Cayman S just because it matched the Porsche over a little stretch of road. It turned into a 12 page thread bashing him. You think this forum is bad, jesus, there are some right a holes out there!!

That was a classic thread. :lol:

:lol: ^^^

I'll check the bearings then and i'll post a vid up with my rocking the back end :norty: I dont know id there's too much movement or not :shrug: I think not, but i'll let you experts take a gander :D

Oh and Kev, keep the stories of your adventures on other forums coming. :D