Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

refurbishing rear caliper carriers

I've got alot of play on one of the rear calipers, it can be rocked a good few mm resulting in an annoying rattle when driving. Feathering the brake pedal stops it.

I can only see that this is due to the caliper carrier guide pins having too much slack. A new assembly is apparently around £80 from VW, where as they also sell a kit which includes the dust bellows and a nylon sleeve that fits between the carrier bracket and the guide pins for £11.

Has anyone used the kit before? Just thinking that if the nylon sleeve had been missing for a while there may be damage to the pins. Also, do the guide pins need taking out to change the sleeve, and if so how?

Cheers.

Cheers Supercharged, I phoned VW and they mentioned the nylon sleeve, I haven't seen the kit myself so couldn't say for sure that it is included. Reagrdless though, for the money they want for the complete one I'm going to order that instead. Sorted!

I should've done a wiki for this; I changed the pins on mine a long time ago. Ensuring its not the carrier big bolts into the beam, then yeh its cheap & simple to replace the carrier slider pins. Problem is that if someone has done up the rear bolt-head (screw) without placing an open ender spanner on the inner nut, the rubber sheeth tends to twist and rip; thus letting in water, which washes off the grease and it rusts up - often leading to a non-moving caliper and stuck on brake and unused piston.

The kit comes with new pins (thus bolt head integral), new screws (you'd call bolts maybe) with a hint of blue locktite, the rubber boot and a sachet of grease I think. Cost me £11 back in the day too.

If you were unable to get hold of new pins, you would most certainly need new rubber sleeves/boots. The pins can sometimes be cleaned up, very carefully. Be very aware they have a flat side; this cannot be lost or buchered; it marries up with the caliper that obviously has a flat spot too. Ensure your rusty old caliper is cleaned out and new grease squirted in. And as said, you are tightening the bolts against the inner slim nut(part of the pin) - use correct torque and it should stay on forever, whilst allowing good easy sliding. I found upon assembley that the grease oozed out a tad, and then gave an airtight sucksion on the pin.

i have a set of rear calipers and carriers i will be refurbing, but the slider pin hoses are shot. where can you get these separately?