Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

Air con radiator removal + refit

Hi all please can I have some help its VW but non corrado.

I have a 1996 Mk3 VR Highline with Aircon.

Its recently developed a coolant leak, so i had a look at it this weekend took the grill of and its coming from the top of the aircon rad.

So i think this is going to have to be replaced has anyone done this on their corrado's is there and do's and donts do i need to take the lights and the fron bumper off?

Any help most appreciated

Cheers Andy

are you sure its the aircon rad? if so, you'll have no cooling effect whatsoever. Best to get an aircon garage to check the pressure, using a dye for leaks. If its just the coolant rad, then you'll have to remove the bumper because the aircon rad is screwed to the front of it. Its not too tricky, just takes a bit of time, perhaps an hour to get everything off.

Hi fla thanks for your reply im 99% sure its the aircon rad,

As the top aircon pipe on the right hand side that travels over the engine radiator and fixes onto the aircon rad at the front right, its leaking from the top of that connection on the front of the aircon rad.

does the slam panel and lights need to come out when changing or can they stay?

also the two aircon rubber connection pipes top right and bottom left do they just screw into the aircon rad or is the any specific way of taking those pipes on/off?

Cheers Andy

as far as i did work on y aircon i had to remove the bumper and slam panel - might be worth dropping tandino a pm as he's just recently been doing an aircon reftrofit.

The hoses just screw in, yes, but i believe you need some differnt sealant on the threads. Having said that, there are some leagal issues wrt discharging an aircon system to atmosphere, so bounce some ideas off you local aircon garage.