Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Gear boxes and drive shafts Q's

Just wondering If I'm planning of up ratting the power of the engine, how much more power can the standard gear box take on a 16v before things need to be upgraded.

Also the same question for the drive shafts and is it just a stright forward swap for say a vr6 gear box and drive shafts

Just wondering If I'm planning of up ratting the power of the engine, how much more power can the standard gear box take on a 16v before things need to be upgraded.

Also the same question for the drive shafts and is it just a stright forward swap for say a vr6 gear box and drive shafts

the 02a box can take up to about 350-400bhp before you start to have "massive" issues with it. afaik the valver box is basically the same as a g60 or vr item - they just have different ratios between the 16v and g60 (which i think share the same ratios) and the vr's which have longer ratios.

somewhere in the depths of the wiki before it failed was a useful guide on box codes/ratios etc etc - google "o2a gearbox" and you'll probably turn up something useful.

they should be able to hold around the 300-350bhp mark all day long and last a comparible amount of time to the normal powered cars, provided you're nice andsmooth etc when using them.

afaik it's the same story with the drive shafts, but things like cv joints will obviously have to be considered. i.e. if your joints have been on there the life of the car, you'd be better off replacing them before you go seeking the big numbers.

also - if you're really after better power figures, you'd be better of thinking about a transplant, or much simpler just sell the car an buy a vr! i know we all get very attached to our corrados, but if you're after more power in the same corrado-type format, then just buy a faster corrado.

also, after driving your car, i would want to get the bushes renewed (esp the rear beam jobbies) and defo look at upgrading the brakes to at least g60 items if you really want to keep your current motor and tune it for more power.

the 02a box can take up to about 350-400bhp before you start to have "massive" issues with it. afaik the valver box is basically the same as a g60 or vr item - they just have different ratios between the 16v and g60 (which i think share the same ratios) and the vr's which have longer ratios.

somewhere in the depths of the wiki before it failed was a useful guide on box codes/ratios etc etc - google "o2a gearbox" and you'll probably turn up something useful.

they should be able to hold around the 300-350bhp mark all day long and last a comparible amount of time to the normal powered cars, provided you're nice andsmooth etc when using them.

afaik it's the same story with the drive shafts, but things like cv joints will obviously have to be considered. i.e. if your joints have been on there the life of the car, you'd be better off replacing them before you go seeking the big numbers.

also - if you're really after better power figures, you'd be better of thinking about a transplant, or much simpler just sell the car an buy a vr! i know we all get very attached to our corrados, but if you're after more power in the same corrado-type format, then just buy a faster corrado.

also, after driving your car, i would want to get the bushes renewed (esp the rear beam jobbies) and defo look at upgrading the brakes to at least g60 items if you really want to keep your current motor and tune it for more power.

Thank Pete very usefull :notworthy:

I dont want massive amounts of power just a bit more than it does now just to bring it up to date with some of the cars rolling around these days. Then maybe when the engine gets more miles on it I may look at a conversion or a vr.

I will most probably end up getting a VR some point in the futur but at the mo I'm happy to stick with the valver 8)

I think I told you when you had a go in my car that I've got two wish bones and a rear beam to refurb which I will probably do whilst doing the rest of the stuff. Also I got a set of VR6 calipers ready to go on just need the discs and pads. So that will be getting sorted soon as well