Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

high mileage cheap G60....worth a punt?

Sold my motocross bike at the weekend and wasnt sure what to do with the money i.e. bank it, house stuff, bike stuff or car stuff.

Ive seen a few cheaper Mk2 Golfs however I bought the local Steal and Sell paper and saw an advert for a 1990 Corrado in good condition at a cheap price. Rang up and its a G60, dark blue with about 170kmiles on it and apparently has no rust on it all all with good bodywork.

Due to the cars age Ive had an insurance quote of £170 fully comp for the year!!! Im guessing the charger wont have been done but is it worth it or am I just getting myself into a whole lot of hassle with that sory of mileage on the G60? Ive had a G60 years ago but dont really know engine wise what to look for other than the charger.

I spoke to the sellers dad (its his daughters car) and he sounded like a decent guy.

Im thinking of looking at it but I know I cant help myself if its in decent shape. Anyone intersted if I dont buy it? Its up near Aberdeen and when I say cheap it will be sub £1k.

a 1990 car could be pretty rotten underneath, I'd go and have a thorough crawl over it, looking at the sills, rear arches, front panels, subframe etc...

if the body is very good then your next problem/focus is the G60 lump, both engine and charger could be expensive to fix if they are very tired as the parts are just much rarer than the NA engines.

A cheap car may end up costing you far more than the purchase price.

On the plus side, G60's are pretty rare now and it's def worth having a look at it, the 8v head is easy and cheap to recon, and the engine may still be strong if it's been looked after, there's always the tubo alternative to the G60 for this engine :D

a 1990 car could be pretty rotten underneath, I'd go and have a thorough crawl over it, looking at the sills, rear arches, front panels, subframe etc...

Speak for yourself... :p

My 1991 was pretty much spotless underneath.!! The only rust on was under the battery & on one door because of damage before i got it.. :salute:

Id be more inclinced to think otherwise myself though. Especially if its a local car as its very hard to avoid getting the brown stuff up here on something that old. Seen a few local guys with Mk2's that appear fine but they have soon found them to be quite bad one you start proding.

I'll go have a look but Im probably 90% not going to buy and I did say to the guy I was hoping it was a 16v but he didnt mind me just coming for a look. If its solid enough I can get the charger done for about £400 it seems so that could be a solid G60 for less than £1500. (who am I kidding!! :lol: )

Go for it, if you think you can stand the pain of another Corrado! G60's are pretty solid when they're all running correctly though and they do have a certain charm - though if you're used to VR6 gearing, the shorter ratios of the G60 will piss you off in no time at all.

I'll wait and see what the Mk4's MOT uncovers tomorrow but TBH I think Im asking for trouble with my run of luck at the moment.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll happily take a look at the car.

I'll wait and see what the Mk4's MOT uncovers tomorrow but TBH I think Im asking for trouble with my run of luck at the moment.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll happily take a look at the car.

My wife would kill me but I am interested... :)

Ive had a G60 years ago but dont really know engine wise what to look for other than the charger.

with high millage id be looking for:

regular oil services

head rebuild,

crank rebuild + bolt replaced for VW upgraded part,

gearbox rebuild,

no serious rust,

good solid paintwork with a good shine,

charger history,

and then lots of reciepts of things like brake lines,cv joints,clutch,wheel bearings.....

depends how picky you want to be??

I've just done the botom end on my 207k G60 and to be honest there was hardly any wear on the shells both crank and conrods both still had original shells in em top end was solid too. the charger is the only weak point on these engines IMHO.