Sign in to follow this  
krnau

not a corrado.. head gasket question. edit with pistons!

hi there, I removed both probe's heads today and head gaskets look OK to me (no cracks, no missing sections)... but the car was burning coolant .... how can this be?

heads with gaskets on

4742110dscn7189-small.jpg

4742111dscn7207-small.jpg

oh and the block has crap in it, look at the top-right cylinder, just next to it, in the coolant section

4741967dscn7192-small.jpg

4741977dscn7191-small.jpg

how can I clean this?I can take this crap out with a screwdriver but I'm scared of rebuilding the engine and crap blocking coolant flanges :nuts:

edit:

hey look at these pistons

4754498dscn7236-small.jpg

4754484dscn7237-small.jpg

btw, there weren't any broken/damaged rings... so why would this engine have fuel in the oil??

I think I'm replacing only rings as pistons look ok

2nd picture down,last cylinder has been burning coolant mostly as the carbon deposits on the piston head edges steamed off from the coolant leaking in,coupled with heat this steams it off and there are more signs of this but not as much on other pistons,but you should have both heads skimmed and pressure tested to confirm that the are ok.

clean the surfaces with fine wet and dry sandpaper,around 1200 grit with plenty of lube,water or wd40,there is specific tools out there that can clean this without the hard work but sandpaper is the cheapest,make sure its spotless and the headbolt head holes have no fluids left in them,blow them out with a air line and use brake cleaner to clean the surfaces spotlessly before reassembly

2nd picture down,last cylinder has been burning coolant mostly as the carbon deposits on the piston head edges steamed off from the coolant leaking in,coupled with heat this steams it off and there are more signs of this but not as much on other pistons,but you should have both heads skimmed and pressure tested to confirm that the are ok.

clean the surfaces with fine wet and dry sandpaper,around 1200 grit with plenty of lube,water or wd40,there is specific tools out there that can clean this without the hard work but sandpaper is the cheapest,make sure its spotless and the headbolt head holes have no fluids left in them,blow them out with a air line and use brake cleaner to clean the surfaces spotlessly before reassembly

so it looks like i'll have to clean it with the engine out of the car? :(

btw I'm pulling out the block as there is something like sand at the bottom of the coolant flanges :|

so then I'll take it to the machine shop with the heads 8)

how funny it will be when I have everything reassembled and it doesn't start!! :lol: or, after starting, it blows a head gasket. :brickwall: