Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

single knock/clink when braking at slow speeds...

When i brake at slow speeds i get a single knock, clink noise coming from the front. It doesnt happen at high speeds or in reverse.

I had a look and noticed ARB drop link was knackered, so replaced it, but the noise is still there. it doesn't affect driving or braking.

I checked all bolts on callipers, their up tight.

I just dont know what it could be?

**update**

I checked my front top mounts, and i can turn the passenger top mount plate around, the bolt stays where it is, could this cause any movement causing the clink when braking?

Please help!

Neil

I have this exact same thing mate. Only seems to happen when almost at a stop, seems to happen when only apply small amount of pressure on brakes ie not hard braking. Its only ONE clunk sound very metalic.

Also i have a knocking coming from under the pedals - im suspecting the ARB drop links need replacing. But not confident it will go once replaced seen as it hasnt on yours.

Ive had the top mounts replaced too and its still doing it after too.

As you said, i replaced arb link that was knackered, thats not made a difference, i tightened top mounts little too, no difference. So i'm thinking the noise must be coming from back. It is a metalic metal on metal sound, and only one clink. Kind of like a dink if that makes any sense. I think its back brake pads being low so when i press pedal, brake pad is moving or caliper hitting disc.

As you said, i replaced arb link that was knackered, thats not made a difference, i tightened top mounts little too, no difference. So i'm thinking the noise must be coming from back. It is a metalic metal on metal sound, and only one clink. Kind of like a dink if that makes any sense. I think its back brake pads being low so when i press pedal, brake pad is moving or caliper hitting disc.

Yeah makes complete sense as its exactly the same issue i have. I had someone stand outside the car whilst i went back and forth until it did it. Like you said it only does it going forward, never reverse. I was told it was coming from the back. my rear discs and pads are relatively new with plenty of meat on the pads. I gave a brief description to my mechanic who said it could be the rear axle moving slightly due to worn bushes... :shrug:

Well that cant be case for me, i had rear axel bushes replaced last year. I can get the clink to happen by gently pressing on the brake peddle and it happens at same point in travel peddle every time. Going to get misses to move my car whilst i stand outsid it tonight. Does the rear calipers have pad shimms to stop movement of pads?

the problem with metallic noises is by virtue of them being in solids the sound travels very fast so can be from almost anywhere. See if you can replciate by knockig or tapping various areas under teh car, to teh side, shakig various things in the engine bay. It must be something easily locatable (is that a word???) if its just a light clunk, but it will just be an iteration of shaking bits from all over the car. Dont underestimate the noises of plastic agaimst plastic, these can also be quite significant. I have one such in the upper rear interior trim panel because one clip came off and this would knock on the c-pillar. Tried everything until i came acorss this. another was the spoiler just rattling on the body when down, also from the same sort of area.

Good luck i'm sure you'll manage to track it down soon, but be prepared to try the less obvious things!

I think i can rule out interior plastics as its definately coming from outside. If it only happens when its braking surely its got to be somethin to do with the wheels or something linked to the wheels. :scratch:

Its an odd one. hmmm......

yeah i agree i think its something linked to the caliper, because its only happening when braking, getting mrs to move the car and ill walk by the side and listen out, taking rear wheel off 2morow so will investigate further.

well ive not managed to do the rear brakes, weather is shocking, just not worth it, i did check all axle bush bolts and caliper bolts and all are tight, also checked in boot for loose trim etc. i think its just low brake pads.

well ive not managed to do the rear brakes, weather is shocking, just not worth it, i did check all axle bush bolts and caliper bolts and all are tight, also checked in boot for loose trim etc. i think its just low brake pads.

Give them a change and report back mate :D

But im not convinced. There's plenty of meat on my pads, but it could be a different clunk you have.. just very coincidental that we're having the very same noise. Plus if it is down to low pads what is actually making the noise. :scratch:

i dont know, it could be a peice of trim or something, its not every time i brake, its randomly, it's not anything that affects the working of the car, its just a noise, but its just trying to work out what it is.

i dont know, it could be a peice of trim or something, its not every time i brake, its randomly, it's not anything that affects the working of the car, its just a noise, but its just trying to work out what it is.

I dont think its a piece of trim either. Its definately metallic and outside the car. The hunt continues....

do you recon it could be air in the brake system then when the peddal is pressed its doing something at the pad end of things?

I'm just trying to think of things at the axle end of things that could make a noise.

do you recon it could be air in the brake system then when the peddal is pressed its doing something at the pad end of things?

I'm just trying to think of things at the axle end of things that could make a noise.

Doubtful as the brakes would be soft if it had air in the system.

Could be interested if anyone else has any suggestions.

I couldnt sleep and had another thought, mine doesnt always makes the noise, normally only if ive been driving little bit, so maybe something to do with the exhaust, maybe after the engine being run a while the metal expanding and the momentum of the car slowing is causing it to knock against someting? It's something ill have a look at when the exhaust is warm ill wiggle the tailpipe.

as you say critical mass, anyone elses suggestions would be great!

I had something very similar on my mk3 vr6 and it turned out to be a loosened wishbone bolt.. Causing the wishbone to move very slightly under braking. Maybe worth checking?

Also is the master cylinder definitely secure and tight as it should be?

hmmmmm yeah ill check the wishbone bolts, which one was loose?

what would i check on the master cylinder?

It was the rear wishbone bolt, the one that screws straight up into the body..

Well the master cylinder bolts in place, just make sure it's tight and not moving when you press the brake pedal.. I'm sure it is ok but was just a thought.

Don't you just hate annoying little noises that keep you up thinking about?! I certainly do!

Hey critical mass, out of curiosity how high does your hand brake handle come up when you put it on?

Tighten it a little and see if that makes a differnce.

Hey critical mass, out of curiosity how high does your hand brake handle come up when you put it on?

Tighten it a little and see if that makes a differnce.

FUnny you should mention that cos i have to pull it up quite high, ever since the rear brakes froze on last winter. i'll try tightening it a little. Why did you mention that anyway Neil?

well mine has always raised really high ever since i had rear bushes done, as the axel was removed, so i've tightened it up a little, i drove home and didnt hear any noises, but it was raining so road noise was higher then normal so i couldnt really hear alot.

Because my handle came up alot it means when its down, there it alot of play in the cables.

I could be totally wrong and when i go to work in 15 mins the noise could still be there, but it is something thats connected to the brakes so you never know.

Well my noise has gone, touch wood! Not sure if its related to hand brake cable or not but i'm not complaining!

Well my noise has gone, touch wood! Not sure if its related to hand brake cable or not but i'm not complaining!

I heard mine ONCE today.. so im still on the hunt. Regarding another problem in another thread i rocked the engine to check the gearbox mount was ok. It seemed it, but when im changing from 1st to 2nd gear i sometimes got a bit of a dull thud from behind the passenger side dash, so it could well be on its way out. My engine mounts are only a couple of years old, but the gearbox mount has never been replaced. Even if it is on its last legs im not convinced its that thats making the noise :(

Its driving me mad :brickwall: