Serial

VR6 Crank pulley bolt keeps falling out

The crank pulley bolt on my recently rebuilt VR6 keeps falling out, I got home after a 300mile or so drive this weekend and it had unscrewed a bit, and the pulley was wobbling a bit... it's done it before and it came off so much that the belt came off and shredded itself.

After the first time I cleaned the thread of the bolt & crank thoroughly, and used some threadlock, then torqued it up to the required 100Nm as specified in the Bentley... but it still came undone again.. Am I missing some critical bit like a spring washer or something, or is it a stretch bolt?

The crank pulley bolt on my recently rebuilt VR6 keeps falling out, I got home after a 300mile or so drive this weekend and it had unscrewed a bit, and the pulley was wobbling a bit... it's done it before and it came off so much that the belt came off and shredded itself.

After the first time I cleaned the thread of the bolt & crank thoroughly, and used some threadlock, then torqued it up to the required 100Nm as specified in the Bentley... but it still came undone again.. Am I missing some critical bit like a spring washer or something, or is it a stretch bolt?

you shouldnt require threadlock. did you have trouble getting it off when you rebuilt the block. vw originally torqued them up way way past 100NM, i tightened mine up to about 250NM with an air tool. also you remembering to put the woodruff key in the slot on the crank pulley before you tighten it up?

you shouldnt require threadlock. did you have trouble getting it off when you rebuilt the block. vw originally torqued them up way way past 100NM, i tightened mine up to about 250NM with an air tool. also you remembering to put the woodruff key in the slot on the crank pulley before you tighten it up?

What's a woodruff key? Definitely didn't do that, and yeah I only torqued it up to 100Nm. I might take it to a garage and get them to use the air tool.

Cheers for the replies :salute:

Tom

get a new bolt and do it right, clean, lightly oiled threads (as they come from VW)

the correct torque

and then stretching

otherwise it will come undone again :nono:

Do Vr crank pulleys have woodruff keys??

All the crank sprockets that I have come accross on 4 pots have an inbuilt locating key.

VW bentley manual deos indeed say 100nm + 1/4 turn.

I imagine that yours isn't binding because it is over stretched.Get a new bolt.

All the crank sprockets that I have come accross on 4 pots have an inbuilt locating key.

Yep the pulley has a woodruff key. I had a massive ordeal with mine so if you need any advice pm me bud

I just replaced mine the other week, put a thread on here as it was a pain to get out but I did it back up and have had no problems since, thinking I should give it a check 2m now just to see? Didn't torque it up just wound it as tight as I could get it?

New bolt it is then. Does anyone know the best way to hold the crankshaft in position? I just did a little research and it seems like VW Tool 3273 is the one for the job but I'd prefer not to go to the expense if possible. Would a 43mm (?) ring spanner on the pulley do the trick?

New bolt it is then. Does anyone know the best way to hold the crankshaft in position? I just did a little research and it seems like VW Tool 3273 is the one for the job but I'd prefer not to go to the expense if possible. Would a 43mm (?) ring spanner on the pulley do the trick?

can you get an air tool on it? you wont need to lock it in position if so

Had same prob with mine. Couldn't find a crank locking tool anywhere :brickwall: for my G60, so I made one myself.

Did the job tho, but not sure how close the crankcase layout is to the VR.

See my link for info on cranking the bolt ! It's sourced from other experts on here tho :D

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=94367

Yep the pulley has a woodruff key. I had a massive ordeal with mine so if you need any advice pm me bud

I think you guys are talking about the pulley that's connected to the crank itself - ie the cambelt one on a 4 cyl...

This is a VR and I think he means the aux belt pulley that you can see - not the chain one?

I think you guys are talking about the pulley that's connected to the crank itself - ie the cambelt one on a 4 cyl...

This is a VR and I think he means the aux belt pulley that you can see - not the chain one?

what gave it away that we are looking at a vr here :lol: . yeh bud im talking about the same thing, there is only one crank pulley in there which drives the aux belt. its done up way tighter than 100NM, and requires a woodruff key that should already be in the little slot on the back of the pulley if it hasnt been lost.

if you can get it to a garage, ask to use there air tool to tighten it, air tools usually incorporate a clutch mechanism which allows them to act as an impact gun which in turn eliminates the need for a locking tool.

On my T4 it has a special washer with what I've been told are diamond fragments in it which sits under the bolt head and helps it grip, stops it coming loose.

Anyone got a pic of this woodruff key? Not something I've seen before and about to fit my crank pulley and just by chance noticed mention of it.

Hi Jim,

Yeah that's it your woodruff key is moulded to your pulley, very similar to how the camshaft and intermediate shaft pulleys are on the 16v Corrado's, rather then being permanently attached in the front end of crankshaft.

I think your crank pulley is possibly part number 021 105 243D

Si

Yeah i think that is the number, do you think it's correct? Looks a bit different to the other two i have. Has a raised lip on the external face of it

021 105 243D

Part number for VR6 type crank pulley used on Corrado, MK3 Golf and Passat

from 1992 to about 1998

Also possibly used on the MK1 Ford Galaxy,

that had the VR6 2.8 lump in it,

but this was 24v

This pulley does have a slight raised lip on the front face of pulley, but then in saying that I have seen them with quite a protruding lip, very similar to the one listed below on the Golf R32 which seems to have quite a deep lip.

022 105 243A

Part number for crank pulley,

used on the MK4 Golf 4motiom VR6 and also possibly used on the MK4 Golf R32

and maybe even on the later type MK1 Ford Galaxy from 1998 to roughly 2005

I think these had 24v not the 12v like on the Corrado or MK3 Golf VR6.

This pulley does have the raised lip on the front face of pulley.

Plus there's a pulley used on the Porsche Cayenne 3.2 and the 3.6

that have the VR6 lump in it,

from roughly 2002 to about 2008

Part n.o 022 105 243 0

This appears to have a raised lip also.

Also looks like there's a similar crank pulley on the MK4 Golf and Bora with the V5 2.3 engine

Part n.o 071 105 243C

This doesn't appear to have the raised lip on the front face of pulley though,

like in your photo.

Jim are you 100% sure this part number

022 105 243A

isn't on that pulley in your photo ?

Si

Edited by vw rule