Sign in to follow this  
Fulltimejunglist

Smoothing my engine.

On the 1.8 16v on the bit which is 4 cylinders on top of the head with double over head cam writen on it (DOHC 16v)

Tbh i dont have a clue what this is, despite the fact ive taken it off my car.... (Not planning on running the engine whilst its off btw) Ive also head you can get one which is wider and this can increase performance, if so where can get one and what else would have to be uprated?

Also, there s a wee circle on it which has i think 1,2,3 around 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and i think another 3,8,6 or something somewere too, i have no ideawhat this is (Please someone inform me so i dont feel retarded)

Basically, if i wanted to smooth this off would i be able too, as it looks crap and would look smarter without it, also plan on removing the 4 lines on the centre pipes if this is doable also....

I plan on spraying it black what is the best paint to use on this, ive heard enamel paint is good for heat resistance...

But as i said im not too sure about either and dont want to weaken my engine just for asthetic reasons.

Thanks alot and im sorry i havnt explained it very well but i know youl know what im on about.

Aidan

I think its my inlet manifold but im not sure, aha sorry.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... G_0076.jpg

(Not mine, found on here)

yes thats your inlet manifold ,,you have a 42mm one ,early(i think) mk2 golf 16v s had 50mm inlets that give a little extra torque higher in the rev range but looses it lower down ,so keep the one you have .

the ribs in the middle can be smoothed as can the whole inlet to be polished?? :D

The circle is simply from the early car's castings (you are talking about the inlet manifold BTW) and could be removed.

I wouldn't fit the larger diameter inlet from the mk 2 golf, it won't give you any more power on a standard engine and will lose you torque.

- beaten to it!

Cheers lads, should i take a picture of the cirlce or is it not needed at any point in the future, thinking it might have a reason... and im not sure on which i want yet, black or polished, im doing it myself so im thinking black as its alot easier.... cheers for the responses, good effort.

I also notice some people have them off and use throttle bodys? i kinda like the look of my engine without it, looks less clutterd, how could i make it so i dont need to use the inlet manifold, cheers.

The circle thingy is a casting ID mark and decoded wil give you the date the manifold was cast. If I remember right there should be two numbers in the outermost ring which are the year, then as you work in arrows or lines point out the minth and day. Or something like that. You'll find similar marks on a lot of parts, including plastic mouldings.

bolt some carbs on it :D get rid of all the injection parts and inlet manifold ,then smooth the rocker cover :norty:

how do i do this, would be mint aha, im feeling that anyway, well how much bhp should i gain as it may be best to wait for something a little more efficient.

Waht paint should i use for painting it also as i dont want it to crack off in about 2 weeks and i want it a nice shiney black, obviously :)

aha.