Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

An idiots guide? Sorted now thanks

To filling coolant up on a VR6 after doing the Heater Matrix. How much coolant/water do you use and how do you go about it, surely its not just open the top and fill it up? I will be using G12 from VW is that right (says G11 on the cap)?

Thanks

AJ

When refilling water system and no bleed tap/point is available I tend to fill up the expansion tank then run the engine topping up as required and squeezing those hoses you can get at to make sure no air is trapped. Once the level looks stable stick the cap on and keeping the engine running check for leaks as the intenal pressure builds.

Yeah go for VW's G12, I think it actually says G12 plus plus on the bottle, just checked yes it does. Buy 2 bottles (3 litres) and mix with 6 Litres of water. The VR coolant capacity is 9 litres but you'll never get it all out so after re-filling you should have some left over for top ups.

Yes, top it up with the enging running and keep it running long enough for the thermostat to open to allow the coolant to circulate.

Well started the car, topping it up slowly everything seemed to be going well. Car got to around 95-100 degrees water, 80 oil top and bottom rad hoses were both hot, then the coolant just went crazy and boiled over everywhere? Done it twice now. What am i doing wrong?

Its a pressurised system, you cannot run it indefinitely without the cap on!!, once coolant gets to 100'c it will boil!!!

You run it up until the top hose gets hot, once this is hot the thermostat is open, put the cap on, let the coolant cool down then recheck the level.

Right when i did mine from scratch no coolant in the system set the interior fans to hot then i filled from the top rad hose until i could see the coolant starting to rise into the expansion tank then i connected the top hose back on and continued filling from the expansion tank to the max level, i then start the car with the expansion lid off to let any air escape then when the water level starts to rise quickly put the expansion tank lid on then wait till fans come on then turn off engine, wait to cool and top up if necessary. check for leaks and jobs a goodun done it this way many times and never had a problem

Hope that helps

just leave it a while and let it cool down and top it up, put the cap on and go for a drive than wait until the water is cool and see if you need anymore coolant if you do just top it up.

your not related to Abdul are you :lol:

Cheers lads, as the title said i needed an idiots guide! :lol: Right off to try again,

thanks

Karl, i read that post. I am no where near that bad!! :lol:

When refilling water system and no bleed tap/point is available I tend to fill up the expansion tank then run the engine topping up as required and squeezing those hoses you can get at to make sure no air is trapped. Once the level looks stable stick the cap on and keeping the engine running check for leaks as the intenal pressure builds.

Well I did tell ya :wave:

Cheers lads, as the title said i needed an idiots guide! :lol: Right off to try again,

thanks

Karl, i read that post. I am no where near that bad!! :lol:

Karl, you are a funny guy...

Aj, ur a lot worse than me mate... i mean coolant top up? Really? why on earth would u leave the cap open on a PRESSURISED sytem when the coolants hitting boiling point? I changed quite a few hoses on my valver and filled it up fine lol and i was at that point the biggest mechanical newbie ever. Mind u, ive heard the heater matrix is a pig to do so hats of to u.

Its all a learning curve bud... i had my VR for the best part of 3 hours before it decided to f up so while waiting for it to get sorted i wanted some ideas on how to tidy the bay and all i had to go off was one pic of the bay...

Only having a giggle bud, as i said i needed an idiots guide as i have never done a coolant drain and refill so yes i am a daft b@stard! I can however take a screw out a plastic cover without the need to ring a garage to do it.

Alvin Jeramiah

I can however take a screw out a plastic cover without the need to ring a garage to do it.

Alvin Jeramiah

If i can get them to do it while its there without gettin my hands dirty why not? :confused4:

I asked how to remove it because i dont have the car here so i cant check!

and put the heater on hot and turn the fan on full, when filling with coolant.

I dont remember why but someone told me to do this aswell. It seems to work lol.

Aj, out of interest, how hard was it to do the heater matrix?

Honestly pretty easy, you need space and time really thats all,

AJ

Time: no problem... space: none :shrug:

You need some space for seats and trim thats all and a dash, i put alot of it on the back seats and boot except the Recaros and dash, they went in the house!

You need some space for seats and trim thats all and a dash, i put alot of it on the back seats and boot except the Recaros and dash, they went in the house!

Bloody hell, why does everything need to come out?

Bloody hell, why does everything need to come out?

Not sure you HAVE to take seats out but taking the dash will give you room for manouver. Apparently its possible to do with the dash in, but its not recommened.

Think your right about the seats but it will/does make it hell of a lot easier, plus they take about 1 minute each to remove. As for the dash in again heard its possible but in someways you will be making hard work for yourself, i would definitley take the dash out, just my experience,

AJ

and put the heater on hot and turn the fan on full, when filling with coolant.

You dont technically need the heater on hot to bleed the system the matrix is always flowing with water even with the heater control dial set to cold, some earlier VW's had a regulation valve (ie Mk1 golf) which stopped coolant flow through the matrix when the control dial was set to cold but not the Corrado...