Corrado_Addict

Removing ECU?

Hey guys,

Still got a few bits to get off the g60, this might be a daft question but how do you remove the ecu? I know its on that steel plate but when I pull that plate forward to slide it out it hits the top of the chassis and the bottom of the chassis so u can't actually pull it out, do u have to remove it from that plate to slide it out?

I tried using the search function with keywords removing ecu, how to remove ecu, but just find things about fault codes and ecu diagnostics, nothing about actually removing the ecu.

Yeah, there must be a trick to it, mine was a pig to get out too so I know what you mean..

(wonder if I'm meant to know stuff like this now :grin:)

You have to slide the locking clip on the plug forwards towards the front of the car, then remove the plug. Then it's just a couple of phillips head screws on the right of the ECU, kinda under where the plug was. It should then just slide off the metal plate, but still requires some manauvering to get it out. It's a while since I took one out, so I hope that's all correct! :)

Cheers for that guys,

If I slide it to the right though I have this big sorta induction thing for what I think is the demister/heater motor? It hits off of that so getting it forward enough to get at the phillips screws might be a bit of a challenge as well.

But hey the whole taking it too bits thing has taught me a lot about them so far.

just took mine out of my VR6 so thought I'd add my 2 pennies worth, as getting the multiplug off took me a few minutes to figure out.

basically, as cazza said, the black plastic thing on the multiplug has to be pulled forward towards you. You can pull it with two fingers but its quite stiff. It pulls forward approximately 2-3 inches....once its fully forward the whole multiplug unit comes off pretty easy. To get the ECU out, the best thing is to free it loose (taking off the 10mm nut on the right and side) then jiggling it a bit so that you can psh it a bit to the left (towards drivers side) then you should be able to bend the multiplug unit out of the engine bay completely so it is dangling out......then move the ECU back to the right again as far as it will go and then you can lift it out.