Sign in to follow this  
brookescourt

G60 (removing carbon canister and pipework) advice needed

Can anyone give me some advice?

I want to remove the carbon canister and all the assosiated pipework and hoses.

I am not sure which ones to remove and how to go about capping them off.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

It's quite easy to do Brookescourt First things first you need to take the fuel tank breather hose off the the cc which is the smaller of the 2 hoses that goes into the CC and locate it into either the small hole in the inner wing. Then you need to take the breather pot out the one that sits on the suspenssion turret and disconnect the big hose that goes to the CC, then you need to disconnect the small hose that goes to the inlet manifold with the other hose that also goes in at that point needs to be connected back up to the inlet with a inline 6mm adaptor or a t pice that you could run a boost gauge off of it. then the small hose that goes to the back of the inlet needs to be capped off with a small plug I used a diesle spill off plug! And the larger hose that goes into the side of the inlet also needs to be plugged off as well I used a small lenght of the same size hose and stuck a bit of subber the same size as the internal diameter and glued it in place!! Thats about it you can take the breather out of the car now and you should have everything in place so you can also remove the CC and run some more cold air into the induction kit or standard airbox from the brake cooling duct!! Hope this all makes sense if not give me a buzz on 07740482464 and I'll run through it again!! :D

here's some pics!!!

Your welcome to try my car Rob, that SNS chip makes a hell of a difference, not just to top end power but the grunt available from low rpm is amazing :shock:

Brookescourt,

I can definately recommend the SNS Stage 5 chip. It's much more aggressive than my old one. By the way, thanks for the 3.5bar FPR!! :D

I know darren :D but it's a daily driver and it's alwys getting dirty have no daylight hours to actually get round to giving it a proper clean and polish!!! :( maybe this weekend ay

no problem Jon

Barrie, I want to make an air feed into the bottom of the airbox and it tidies up the engine bay too.

I dont know if the air feed makes any difference though.

Ive removed the canister on my Rallye, took out the fog lamp and put a scoop there with some ducting routing up to the aperature where the canister was. The more cold air you have, the better it will be. You wont lose anything from trying it. :p

I think I`d rather not loose the brake cooling duct! I am going to the nurburgring in the summer so I think I`ll need all the brake cooling I can get :D

what u do to the duct does not effect the cooling of the brakes in anyway at all!!! what u do is to bond a piece of 65mm tube flush with the side of the duct ,this acts as a port to allow air to flow up to the air box/induction kit .... hth

People that have done this.. Have you removed the shutoff valve as well, as from what i can tell theres nothing left connected to this??

What do you mean the shut off valve juelsz I dont recall any shut off valve in the breather system and what does it shut of as all the carbon canister is there for is to catch the fuel vapours and put them back into the breather system to lower emmisions!!!

Oh I know what your talking about now yeah that comes out of the car too you just block the pipe that comes out of the back of the TB and block of the pipe that goes into the front of the inlet manifold but dont block off the pipe or try to remove the other pipe that goes into the front of the inlet manifold as this is the vacuum for the mfa!!

Word of advice, I did this a while ago and noticed a very loud whistle whilst driving part throttle. This was due to blocking off the bigger pipe(*) coming out of the side of the throttle body under the inlet boost hose. Basically when the bypass butterfly is open the air passes over the hole for the pipe (*) and as mine was blocked very close to the throttle body it caused a whistle. Imagine blowing over an empty bottle. :?

SO, I've put a longer hose there and blocked that off so the whistle has been eliminated. You could even leave this open as its downstream of the btpass butterfly. :)