Sign in to follow this  
alank950

gear box and clutch fluid change

Hi does anyone know if i should change the gear box oil in my VR6.I did read that VW sent the cars out with a sealed box.Any coments would be great...ps what about the clutch fluid also.

Alan

Moving...

You can change them both. Most people seem to rate Redline MT90 gear oil- you'd need 2 bottles. Castrol SMX-S is also very good and available from Halfords. Try the search for more instructions- pretty easy job tbh.

Clutch fluid is the same as brake fluid. Just get a garage to change the brake fluid and you're done.

THey normally respond well to a change to fully synthetic oil such as MT90 or the Castrol equivalent - Think it is about 1.8 Lts from memory?

Ian.

I'll second that for the Castrol fully synth. I just changed mine to that tonight and it's like having a new gearbox, less notchy and easier to gt into all gears. Like new maybe!

I'll stick in a vote for the Redline MT90. Genuinely felt like it knocked 30,000 miles off my VR6 gearbox when I changed it. Brilliant stuff :)

Thanks for the replys guys.I contacted my local vw dealer to ask advice on the matter and the guy in parts said that he never had to sell any gear box oil in 27 years.

I think i will just go ahead and change it anyhow.

What about the clutch,meby its dry and dosent need oil??

Thanks for the replys guys.I contacted my local vw dealer to ask advice on the matter and the guy in parts said that he never had to sell any gear box oil in 27 years.

I think i will just go ahead and change it anyhow.

What about the clutch,meby its dry and dosent need oil??

Yeah sure gearbox oil doesnt need changing much at all. But on a car thats 15-20 years old id be changing it.

I used the OEM gearbox stuff from VW when changing oil - how does that compare to the oil you guys are talking about ?...:)

The VAG mineral oil is fine and relatively cheap, I rate the VAG fully synthetic stuff though, although it has to be said the main benefit of the synthetics is when the box is cold.

I'd change the gearbox oil on any 100K+ car, it's not expensive or difficult to do and can only benefit the box.

i used the castrol,good stuff.as the guys said i will make your box shift smoother

Id change oil every five to six years or 80000 miles(about same time as cambelt).if it looks brown or smells burnt,change it. extreme pressure oil is good stuff but deteriorates with age and heat

Will that Redline MT90 be fine as a like-for-like OEM replacement?

In the instructions that came with my Wavetrac diff, it warns of using different oils, particularly motorsport or oils with impact/shock particles or something like that, and says its only designed to work with OEM oils

so long as the ep number is the sameas the oem,shouldnt matter what type of brand oil you use in the diff

just certain brands last longer and work better in different boxes

so long as the ep number is the sameas the oem,shouldnt matter what type of brand oil you use in the diff

just certain brands last longer and work better in different boxes

Thanks. Love that avatar btw :lol:

In the instructions that came with my Wavetrac diff, it warns of using different ?oils, particularly motorsport or oils with impact/shock particles or something like that, and says its only designed to work with OEM oils

try not to use stuff that goes into race boxes in your normal box as motorsport boxes are designed for relaibity and durabitly,not longitivity and smoothness

The cogs in motorsport boxes maybe heat or cold treated and can take that type of oil but maybe not so your normal gears

I recommend using oil one of the above the guys have talked about,its been proven and safer for your box :wink: