Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Any tips on some good sealer fitting a frost plug?

I'v re-installed a frost plug where a engine warmer used to sit - but it's started to leak a small amount of fluid so will have to replace it again.

Anyone got any tips on some good "sealer" type of thingy I could use when re-fitting a new plug? (it's only a small leakage, but it needs to be sorted)....:)

so is that a screw in element kind of thing, like other sensors on an engine or a 'core plug' in the engine block casting?

It's been a while since I did any of these but we used to use hard setting Hermetite, the green stuff I think. Put a bead on the lip inside the block, smear some round the outside edge of the plug then tap the plug into place only tapping on the outside edges till it's fully in place. When it's there give the centre of the plug a smack to knock a dent in it. This expands the sides to grip the block. If you dent the centre too much it will overdo it and the plug won't seal properly. If you can see an already fitted plug you'll see what I mean

so is that a screw in element kind of thing, like other sensors on an engine or a 'core plug' in the engine block casting?

it's like one of these:

IMG_2479.JPG

It's been a while since I did any of these but we used to use hard setting Hermetite, the green stuff I think. Put a bead on the lip inside the block, smear some round the outside edge of the plug then tap the plug into place only tapping on the outside edges till it's fully in place. When it's there give the centre of the plug a smack to knock a dent in it. This expands the sides to grip the block. If you dent the centre too much it will overdo it and the plug won't seal properly. If you can see an already fitted plug you'll see what I mean

Alright I'l look into that - thanks for the tip :)

Just saw your pic. Those are fitted the reverse to what I was thinking of so you will not need to finish it off with a tap to the centre. Just smear it with Hermetite or equivalent and tap it squarely into place.