Sign in to follow this  
Stafford16v

Best option for lowering on a budget?

My late model 16v looks like a 4x4 on its 17's.

I'd like to remove all of the arch gap if possible. At the very least its got to go down 40mm.

I drive the car to work and back which is about a 6 mile roud trip. I only have to negotiate speed humps in works car park (the plastic ones that screw in to the ground if you know what I mean). The roads around here are OK so I think I could live with a firm ride with the limited use my car gets. It does still need to have a small amount of travel though and it cant be to bouncy.

I have heard some pretty bad things about cheap coilovers. However then I was told that these ones are not to bad:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

What do you think guys?

Oh I dont mind second hand, but cant see much listed on here or on eBay? Unless I can search for golf suspension?....

For me the car is all about the looks as its not exactly got the straight line speed. If it handled terrible I guess it would be a shame though.

I'm new to VW's (well I did once buy a mk2 16v, but it was such a nail I sold it after a week!) having had mostly French hot hatches in the past so your advice would be great.

get the grinder out and whip a few coils off! :D

if you on a budget ive got some complete used shocks with lowered springs. not exactly sure how much as there on a car i stripped but i would say there of a 40mm minimum £40 plus postage.

ive got coilovers on mine and tbh its a bit to low and could do with highering(?) it about 10mm its very hard ride but goes round corners great!

also venom is a good place to buy from. delt with him a few times as he's only about 10mins drive from me. give him a ring and i sure he'd adivse on what there like. he's had some awesome cars made too. that lupo with the S3 engine and running gear was fookin brilliant!

My late model 16v looks like a 4x4 on its 17's.

I'd like to remove all of the arch gap if possible. At the very least its got to go down 40mm.

I drive the car to work and back which is about a 6 mile roud trip. I only have to negotiate speed humps in works car park (the plastic ones that screw in to the ground if you know what I mean). The roads around here are OK so I think I could live with a firm ride with the limited use my car gets. It does still need to have a small amount of travel though and it cant be to bouncy.

I have heard some pretty bad things about cheap coilovers. However then I was told that these ones are not to bad:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

What do you think guys?

Oh I dont mind second hand, but cant see much listed on here or on eBay? Unless I can search for golf suspension?....

Hi i have a set of full lowering shocks and springs for sale only 6 months old, if you want some photos of them just ask there cheap and not leaking all working fine think it's a 50mm lower and drives pretty nice not harsh yours for £60 let me know if your interested located in Bingley West Yorkshire. Willing to post to uk mainland cheers Booth.

For me the car is all about the looks as its not exactly got the straight line speed. If it handled terrible I guess it would be a shame though.

I'm new to VW's (well I did once buy a mk2 16v, but it was such a nail I sold it after a week!) having had mostly French hot hatches in the past so your advice would be great.

I hear the JOM coilovers are alright but like many things in life you get what you pay for. In the case of them, I hear you get a near back-breaking ride quality! So if you're fortunate enough to live in an area where your roads are in good shape then you'll probably be OK... if you live in a place where they're not in good shape, you might go crazy quite quickly!

Well I wanted it slammed when I first got it. However having looked it at some more the chin spoiler/splitter isn't that far off the ground on my car. I think there is roughly about a 50mm gap between tyre and arch. A 40mm drop would probably be a good compromise.

If I do end up with a stiff ride is it worth getting a strut brace?

That wouldn't make a jot of difference. Certainly I didn't notice an improvement in ride quality when I fitted one to mine. It definitely improved turn-in slightly, but in terms of ride comfort, no change.

I meant in terms of steering/turn in not ride quality. Interesting you should say that you noticed a difference though. It might be worth it if the car ends up feeling very stiff. In hindsight I wish I had tried one on my 205 Mi16 as that really seemed to suffer with stiff suspension (it was that stiff you could put all your weight on the front end and the car only dipped about 1cm!).

Thanks for your advice