Sign in to follow this  
jap

Please 2.0 16v Problem

I have a 2.0 16v that will not idle, the battery is fine. If I hold the throttle to the floor it will start then rev then die. sometimes its ok which is strange. I have cleaned the black barrel out to the right of the engine with carb cleaner will no luck. Its now parked in a vunerable place so id like to get it sorted quick. rapid replies would be greatful

I have just cleaned the isv again but no difference. On the top of the air box is a round plate, when starting the car i lifted this plate and it started and idles fine. Should this give me a clue?

Could be an air leak, have you checked all of the intake hoses (plus hoses to the ISV and one below it under the right hand side of the manifold)? I had a similar problem recently, where it would start but not idle - took off all of the hoses from the airbox to the TB and reconnected them again which seemed to do the trick. Good luck

really difficult diagnosing this kinda fault remotely mate, what exactly did you do with the plate, undo the inlet elbow, lifted it up and down, then refixed the induction elbox and it started fine?

No sorry I was unclear. While the elbow was off I lifted the plate very slightly and it would idle, but it was difficult to keep at the correct height. When everything is replaced its the same problem.

ok that sensor plate controls the fuel by measuring air flow, more air equals higher plate equals more fuel.

on a 2ltr there's electrohydraulic actuator that can limit the fuel supply to injector, which is what seems to be happening here, unfortunately there's a number of causes.

how'd the issue start?

it started being intermittent. I then clean the ISV which I thought this sorted it but it wasnt the case. Whats happening is....

1. Struggles to start

2. when i get it started it dies or is very lumpy then dies

3. If i hold it to the floor it will kick in but thats awhile, then still dies shortly after

4. repeat a few times then the battery dies

Thanks very much for your help so far

no bother, but it is difficult to diagnose without all the correct kit and being stood over the engine.

i'd check all the easy stuff first, so as above check the induction system for leaks, also make sure the various slim vacuum pipes connectors are all connected to 'something' :lol:

make sure the various electrical connectors round the throttle body, to the side of the metering head, the sensors on the side of the cylinder head, the ecu and the lambda are all connected.

if it's none of the above then there's a fault with either the mechanical or the electrical elements of the system, i'd replace the lambda first, when was that last done?

Ill give all the above ago in the morning. Im unsure if it has been replaced, I havnt changed it and since i have owned it (14 months). When it dies you can smell a rich petrol smell for a few moments.

well if you can smell fuel its not a starvation problem, maybe it's running too rich.