Sign in to follow this  
wormy

Random fuel cut on part throttle

Hi people!

Just finished my new engine, 1.8GTI bottom end, stacked head gaskets and G60 ported big valve head with 333cc injectors and custom chip ++..

I'm running a wideband, and most of the time the fuel is spot on, but I get random "fuel cuts" that sends the AFR way off, typically 17+. Luckily this only happens on part throttle and around 2000rpm.

The fuel pump is new, the injectors are new, the fuel rail is in good condition, the o2 sensor is new, no vacuum leaks that I can see, and the injector wiring is brand new.

Any suggestions..? I'm thinking it's a sensor bugging up.. Idle switch..? :shrug:

If it does it every single time, sounds like a flat spot in the map that needs filling in.....assuming the lambda is working properly.

If it does it every single time, sounds like a flat spot in the map that needs filling in.....assuming the lambda is working properly.

No, just happening randomly. Might be the map, but doubt it.. The lambda seems to be working properly, as it's constantly adjusting trying to reach 14.7:1 on the wideband on idle/part throttle. Got a friend with a turbo-build and a stock chip, he got the same problem.. So I'm thinking it's a sensor.. :help:

Well, driving with the lambda sensor disconnected "fixed" the random fuel cuts. The AFR also looked relatively good..

I can't remember how it works - does the car go into "safe mode" when the lambda is disconnected, or could it still be the other sensors..?

The lambda is relatively new, but before I built a new engine, I used about 1liter of oil every 500km-1000km.. Might've soaked it a bit too much? :bonk:

Is it the standard G60 ECU? Sounds like the lambda was taking fuel out then, causing the lean spot. I'm not sure what the G60 does in limp mode to be honest. The VR6 loads a rich and retarded timing map. I'm not sure how clever Digifant is :D

Is it the standard G60 ECU? Sounds like the lambda was taking fuel out then, causing the lean spot. I'm not sure what the G60 does in limp mode to be honest. The VR6 loads a rich and retarded timing map. I'm not sure how clever Digifant is :D

Yea, standard ECU. The wideband has a 0-1v output, might try to lure that into the digifant to see if it makes any changes.. Worth a try I guess.. :)