Sign in to follow this  
vr6maniac69n

starts cold but wont turn over warm(sometimes!)

Hi,my corrado vr6 always starts 1st time from cold (turns over 6 or 7 times then starts!!) but when I stop (after driving for any period of time) and turn the engine off,I cannot get the car to start.This doesnt happen every time and after about 10 mins the car will start again???? When the car wont start,everything is fine like it should be i.e all the arrows on the dials move and all the lights come on the dash, but the car wont turn over(not even once),then after bout 10 mins,hey presto!!??!! Has anyone got any ideas on this intermittent problem,as i'm sure sooner or later my beloved vr6 wont start(not even from cold)

Sounds a lot like typical crank sensor symptoms to me .... aka "engine speed sensor".

But be sure it's gone before you replace it - they're hideously expensive - so check the basics. Plugs, fuelling etc etc..

This sounds more like the starter motor not energising problem if it wont turn over. I did the relay mod and not done it since.

Yeah, depends what you mean by "won't turn over.." -- if the starter is running but the engine won't fire, it's a crank sensor, but if the starter isn't running then yeah, could be a relay, could be a sticky starter, etc..etc..

The engine won't turn over at all but after roughly 10 mins it starts like a normal cold start,then if I turn the engine off again and try and re-start I don't seem to have any problems.I think it's most likely a relay(hopefully anyway!!),does anyone which relay it is??????

I don't know if it's a connected issue or something completely seperate but the stereo sometimes cuts out too,and will only work if I turn the ignition key on to full!!!

That's the whole problem. There isn't a relay. The signal to energise the starter motor goes through the ignition switch then to the solenoid (Technically a relay of sorts) It's this voltage that sometimes isn't enough to throw the solenoid. There is a mod to install a relay to put direct battery voltage into the starter solenoid. (Much like the Headlight loom mod. No load goes through the ignition switch) If I have a minute I will try and find the link. Most people try and get away with lubing the sliding part of the solenoid to get by. Or a new starter!