Sign in to follow this  
wormy

Knocking sound (solved, loose charger pulley)

Hi

Noticed I've started to get a knocking-ish-sound from the car. Sounds like it's from the charger-area when I try to listen through a hose and a funnel. Gonna try a shorter belt tomorrow if they have it in stock locally, but as I use the car everyday, it'd be nice to know what else it could be.. Doubt it's the engine as it's recently built with all new parts, also doubt it's a loose bolt, but that's on the checklist.

If you watch the video there seems to be a bit of "play" on the upper charger pulley at ~25seconds, but that might just be the washer being off-center... :help:

The noise seems worse on the video then it really is, but you can hear something's not right when driving the car close to buildings, etc.. The squealing noise is me running the boost-return deleted, and blocking the end of the pipe so no dirt can get into the charger.

Any feedback appreciated.

Link to video (high quality):

Well, charger off and bypassed. Actually feels rather quick still, guess the big valve head and GTi bottom end helps.. :norty:

Think I found the noise. Pulley is all loose and wobbly, and there's some aluminium-like shavings all over the place. Think the pulley's being "eaten".. :cuckoo:

Turning it by hand is smooth, just sounds a bit weird in the video because the pulley is loose.

Gonna have the charger checked as it's getting close to rebuild-time anyway.

Video of loose charger pulley:

Video of how the car pulls without the charger.. Not full throttle or red-lining there as you can see on the boost-thingie in the MFA. Fuel and timing still not spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI88Qfbn5J4

1x M8 bolt and nut

1x M10 bolt and nut

1x 1250mm multirib belt

1x blocked boost return

50cm of 2.5" exhaust pipe

1x cheap air filter

And this is the result..

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

so all you've done to run it without a charger is put that exhaust pipe to the intake side of the intercooler and it runs?

pretty much yes. but you dont need exhaust pipe or a new filter.

i just used some flexi plastic hose from the original air box to the intcooler pipe (with some cut up tights for a bit of extra protection)

have to block off the oil feeds for the charger, and run a smaller fan belt.

the ecu will work out the rest in terms of running.

glad you got it sorted.

I dont run a boost return. But just a bit of pipe to run the oil off nehind the gearbox is fine. Hose pipe will do the job fine.

I dont run boost return either and have the oil breather going down the bottom of the engine bay and running a filter on the ISV. I'd be more concerned about the valve at the bottom of the throttle body which diverts excess boost. Fine when theres boost as the valve is either closed or boosting out, but surely running NA when the valve is open you'll get a vacuum where unfiltered air enters the engine :eek:

Thinking of running with no charger when I get mine sent off, thats why i'm asking.

I'm running a ~30-40cm pipe down towards the steering/gearbox that's blocked in one end.

Using these from VWHeritage/SSP, but anything that'd block it would do. Think the hose is 45mm, but using the 48mm block-thingie.

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Engine-Pa ... t=AC119220

ac119119_new.jpg

Ahh, thats more like it, didnt know that sort of thing existed. I'll keep an eye on that when my charger gets sent off

They should ideally be taller imo, so you could fit a hose clamp around the hose, but the screws do the same job.. :)