Sign in to follow this  
kerrly

No starter action, G60

Hello,

bit of a odd one, my car ran fine up until sunday then yesterday i went out to start it and all seemed normal, central locking works, interior light, immobaliser disengaged (light on dash went out as per normal) and lights on the dash came on but then turn the key and nothing. not a click from the starter but i can hear the fuel pump prime + it smells of fuel in the bay. Annoyingly because of the electric seat belt warning buzzer it is really hard to tell if any of the relays behind the dash are reacting .

So far i have established the battery is fine, over 12v, every other electrical item eg windows, wipers, lights, spoiler etc etc all work.

my strategy is going to be:

1) check for 12v to the starter by checking black trigger wire - if no 12v

2) use a jumper wire from battery POS+ to the starter terminal - if it starts then the ignition switch is dead - hate those things.

3) if no start, then wack starter with a hammer - duff starter - do they really just die like that though? working fine one day dead the next?

4) ECU relay no:30- now then what is the deal with these, are they all the same? i have spare relays from mk2 golfs 8 & 16v but even if the number is the same do they do the same function i really dont want to risk killing the ECU by chucking a random relay in.

5) Hall sender - power to it ?

6) 12v to coil - spark at King lead.

Any other ideas? i want to try and do as much myself as i believe if its not any of the above items it is likely to be my immobalizer that has died - sound right?

thanks

Dave

Sounds like ignition switch if it's not craking - have you tried shaking they key in the crank position?

Check for 12V down the starter solenoid wire when cranking, if the switch is not a black one (new 6N0 part) then change it anyway

Cracking!

i have tried both my keys in the ignition becuase i had a similar problem on my golf once and it turned out the key was bent but didnt think of wiggling it.....

Do switches just die overnight though? in my golfs they would act up for a month or so with random electrics like windows, wipers not working etc..

oh well on brightside its a cheap fix even if its a lot of hassle - in less can you change a switch on a corrado without removing the colum?

thanks

dave

Just a quick update - It was the ignition switch. Crazy how it just died instantly over night and didnt show any of the normal tell tale signs.

Replaced with the 6NO black type now so happy days.

Im just glad it wasnt the immobalise dying!!!

dave