Sign in to follow this  
stretch.

3rd and 4th Gear issues *Now with pictures 16/08*

Thought I was having issues with the linkages, however more and more I think about it, I'm concerned I could have synchro issues?

I pretty much lost third gear a few days ago, 4th soon followed suit. As far as I understand they're on different linkages and I'd have lost 2nd or 1st as well if it was a linkage issue?

Made me think synchro's as when I'm pootling about, with some luck and some rev matching I'm able to hit home when trying to get it into 3rd and 4th. However, my uncle reckons it's an issue with the clutch pressure plate, but 1st and 2nd are still sweet, gear change is slightly on the heavy side but not stiff.

Is this a common thing at all? I've no invoices for any gearbox/clutch work other than fluid changes and it's on 143k at the moment. Also, I found out a few times in heavy traffic as well my clutch pedal will stick down, seems to spring up when I just give it a little nudge and I'm wondering if it's related.

Any help and ideas of cost would be hugely appreciated!

Wouldn't that stop it from being able to use gears at all?

I can still shift it into gear, I just have to rev match it...

No idea mate, sorry........i just know some people have had gear issues before and this has been the culprit on more than one occasion......i am however not one of them so i'm not speaking from personal experience.

What i do know is that 99% of questions asked have been answered before in some form or another.........BUT your issue might not have been seen before and if not then i hope someone with the knowledge to help you comes along with the answers :D

Right, I've played with the linkages, and discovered it's very easy to loose reverse and fifth! Thankfully got them back, but still no third whatsoever and when driving 4th is only usable with some degree of rev matching.

Got some photo's of my linkages though incase I was just being an idiot.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf2010-08-16 14.16.46.jpg[/attachment:abkg9e48] 2010-08-16 14.15.30.jpg[/attachment:abkg9e48]

All the circlips are there from what I can see, however a circlip at the rear seemed to pop up when I pushed third in fully?

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf2010-08-16 14.16.11.jpg[/attachment:abkg9e48] 2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf2010-08-16 14.16.26.jpg[/attachment:abkg9e48]