Sign in to follow this  
Gangstarr

Help needed starter motor

I just had a go at fitting a starter motor & i didnt realise the differences between the 2 until i had switched them .On the origional one there are 2 cables that clip in2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf006.JPG[/attachment:92773gh8]

On the new starter motor001.JPG[/attachment:92773gh8]

there is nowhere to connect the wires , ime not 10% sure what to do any suggestions ....

they should go on the solenoid. one may be a spade terminal and the other should go on the bolt fixing in the pic its the brass coloured part with stainless nut on it.

that any help?

the connections on the wires dont fit anywhere they are the plastic plug type , there is a place for some wires to go on the new starter motor but it would mean changing the ends on the existing wires something that ime not too happy about doing as i am not sure if it would work and not sure what you call the ends size etc .I have dismantled my old starter motor off the car and began cleaning it up does anyonwe know if there is a part number for the carbon bushes ? as changing this would prob solve the problem .

ive had another go i took the new one off and noticed that if i cut off the locating clip from the red & black lead that it fits ok , now i have one wire left to find a home001.JPG[/attachment:1tkbg6qe]

this wire origionaly fitted onto a spade conection but there isnt one and the worst thing is that the battery light is staying on so its obviously an important wire only thing i can do now is clean up the old one and hope for the best .unless anyone has any ideas :scratch:

no the solenoid would not be able to be switched there are slight differences between them & the wire is black and it has 2 wires going into one plug

ok

thick red/black wire-- soleniod

very thick Red only--- motor

two black wires--both earths

one for the soleniod,one for the motor

both attach to the soleniod(should be male spade on near copper connection point) as motor is earthed from the engine

you guys are so helpfull cheers for the advice , pics etc . i cleaned the old one up and give it a couple of coats of hammerite spray and it fires up sweet but the battery light has stayed on , now ime pretty sure that the alternator if foooked , my m8 is coming round to give me a second opinion .dont you just love rados ......

think you may have popped the voltage regulator :(

no biggy,plug it off the back of the alternator,undo one nut holding it on and replace it!

only few quid,well was last time i replaced one anyway(prob have to buy the whole alternator for a regulator these days!!! :cuckoo: )

Look what i found kicking about2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf001.JPG[/attachment:33ntk5p9]

Not 100% sure which is the voltage regulator002.JPG[/attachment:33ntk5p9]

I think its the rectangular one says Germany 2.2 pf 100v- (0 290 800 036) on it and the circular one says (1197 311 021) EL 14V 4C made in germany 947 . They both have ladders in in a circle on them .

one with the little black wire on spade connector leads to little rectangle black box(bottom one!)