Sign in to follow this  
Scar

Rokkor Coilovers

This might be a daft question, but better a daft one that one not asked at all....(or something like that).

'Rokkor Coil overs'

Golf%20II%20III.jpg

£132 Free P&P from Belgium - Ebay: 180539799745

I've read several reviews that claim they're not bad at all, has anyone had any experiences with them?

Rokkor was created simply to be Racelands suspension division apparenty - Or is it the old adage of "they're cheap for a reason"?

Thanks folks

Rich

Or is it the old agade of "they're cheap for a reason"?

Probably this ^^^^

About £30 per corner for the springs AND damper and still money left over for someone to make a profit. Doesn't sound like they'd be made to a very high standard tbh.

You really have to ask yourself how they can make these so cheaply when other coilover cost close to £1k. Very cheap material and finish is the answer, they will probably last a year tops and if they see the winter probably shorter. Its a false economy and a waste of the car putting cheap suspension on a Corrado.

Plus (I'm stealing this from someone else here who said it)....you wouldn't skimp on brakes, why would you skimp on suspension?

these cars cost £30-35k in todays money when they were originally for sale - just because they are cheap now do you think they will benefit from the absolute cheapest parts that you can find? you would spend more than that on suspension for a 15 year old junkyard 1.4 litre astra..

really you need to ask yourself what you bought the car for in the first place - if handling had anything to do with it then the budget should be tripled.

I have them on my car. Got them to basically tide me over through a couple winters. The ride is decent, very firm with a slight amount of bounce in the back. They seem to be of decent quaility and are holding up well thus far.

Thanks for the replies folks & pretty much what I expected.

The Rado is my daily ride, I have a tight budget (like anyone with a regular job, small family & a Mortgage, all of the above which i'm keen on keeping).

I know what you are saying but I can't justify sinking £££ into it (as much as I'd like to) so when I see a favourable review on something that doesn't cost more than ther car it's got to be worth an ask imo.

Thanks again, even if it did confirm my suspicion's :nono:

Rich

I'm not sure whether to lock this so no one else gets the idea in their head ... or leave it open in order to warn people :lol:

buy them, for £132 what have you got to lose?

Your car!

As it skips over the bumps on a corner and exits backwards through a hedge!

Anything that cheap says to me, 'Chinese clone'.

Before I go any further, I have nothing against Chinese made / assembled products. The iPhone is made in China and feels as well made as a Bentley as far as phones go, and countless other premium branded products are made there too, but the REAL problem at the moment is cloned products.

Basically, unscrupulous, profiteering tossers from Europe and America are flying over to China with a product and getting them copied in back street sweat shops and paying the people an absolute pittance. That's how they can knock out a set of coilovers for a 100 quid and still make a profit. If that isn't bad enough, the materials used to get the products down to the target price are completely sub-standard. At best they'll last a month, at worst they'll fall to peices and endanger someone's life.

Avoid!!

£500 is a busy price bracket. Sub £200 pricks people's ears up :D It's all about volume sales!

Not everything you pay good money for is worth the ticket price, but some things, particularly braking and suspension, just aren't worth skimping on imo.

The trouble with suspension is it's too subjective. I've been in cars where the owner was amazed by it's ride quality and handling, where as I couldn't wait to get out of it it was so bad!!

It seems the only person who actually has them seems to think they are fine for what they wanted them for. Even if you have to renew them every couple of years they are still a cheap option. I wouldn't recommend if you were to going to be doing any track driving or were particularly heavy with your right foot normally but if you just want a cheap set purely for the look then I suppose they are worth a punt!

I'm still going to save for some kw's though.