herisites

Quick one, rear top mounts

Just want to check I've fitted my rear coilovers correctly. I've attached a very amateur Paint drawing of what how I have assembled them :lol:

My question is though (if that's the correct assembly!) how tight do you go with the nuts on top of the strut? Because they are tightening up the rubber mounts (I put new mounts on btw), so they just keep tightening squeezing the rubber mounts. I've not done them up to as tight as they'd go, but I'm getting a clunking over bumps so thinking I've probs not tightened them enough and there's too much movement?

Thaaaaaaaanks :salute:

I find they usually do up fine with the weight of the car on them, might want to bounce on the back of the car a few times,

they don't need to be very tight, just nipped up then.

The ribbed parts of the mounts go against the chassis.

As Dave says, don't overtighten and follow the torque settings or you will crush the metal washer things - if you do do this then try and get some from a MK3 Golf 95on - different metal and seem to be stronger.

I find they usually do up fine with the weight of the car on them, might want to bounce on the back of the car a few times,

they don't need to be very tight, just nipped up then.

Cheers Dave, I just didn't know if I kept tightening them I'd just squeeze the rubber mounts too much :lol: I'll nip them up some more and see if that cures the clunking (which is only very occassionally over a sharp bump).

The ribbed parts of the mounts go against the chassis.

As Dave says, don't overtighten and follow the torque settings or you will crush the metal washer things - if you do do this then try and get some from a MK3 Golf 95on - different metal and seem to be stronger.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I put the ribs against the chassis :salute:

That's what I was worried about, and generally squashing the rubber mounts too much. I'll have a look at the proper torque settings and give them another tighten.

Thanks Dave, that's perfect! :cheers:

Yeah so they're not done up very tight at all then! That's probs not the cause of my clunking then, but there's nothing else to it :scratch:

How does one stop the dreaded 'creaking' with the rears, is it a case of leaving the bolts at the bottom slightly loose, putting the car down so they have full weight on and then tightening them up?

They're just thicker than the original parts and are carried over to all MK2 based rear strut assemblies.