Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Expension Tank Issues

Hello Guys

I have a small prolem with my tank "hiding" water. Every 3 - 4 days the temp light comes on and untighten the cap "blue cap by the way" and slowly release the pressure, and as the pressure releases the tank fills its self back up?? It does need a minor top up once a week becasue some comes out of the top if i undo it to quickly. Hes anyone got any ideas why this could be happening? Not made any changes for a while so it can be an affect of changing something.

I think the tank may have a crack in it somewhere of that could relate to it poss sucking in air instead of water??

Any ideas or theorys welcome.

Thanks, Josh.

nothing wrong, just let it cool down before undoing the cap, the system is pressurised when hot so it will spray out of the header tank!

nothing wrong, just let it cool down before undoing the cap, the system is pressurised when hot so it will spray out of the header tank!

Hi

OK that i will do next time, but why would my light come on and the pressure need to be released every few day? Thanks David

the sensor could be faulty or it justs needs topping up, maybe you have a small leak?

Im topping it up quite often as i lose some water when releasing the pressure.

When the light comes on and i look at my tank theres no water in there, as i release the cap it fills back up. i can see why the sensor is going off as theres nothing in the tank. or should it be this way when its hot. im not sure. Or as you say it could be leaking under the pressure.

Could be an airlock. With the engine cold, run the car up to temp with the expansion cap off. As it's warming up, give the hoses a good massage (oo-er!). Just remember to replace the cap once it's warmed up properly ;)

Could be an airlock. With the engine cold, run the car up to temp with the expansion cap off. As it's warming up, give the hoses a good massage (oo-er!). Just remember to replace the cap once it's warmed up properly ;)

OK will give that a try thanks, al let you know how i get on

It does sound like it is definitely an airlock,

Gotta remember fluid will not compress whereas air will.

Similar kinda thing when your brakes go spongy, it's because the air will compress before the fluid moves.