Mawrick

Will the car crank if the ignition switch is to blame ?

I have replaced my ignition switch - but at times my C still seem a bit hard to start.

It will always start - but might take some cranking. What I'm wondering is if there is anything wrong with the ignition switch (or the lock "barrel") will the car still crank ? (ie as in always crank)

Yeah it can crank and not supply power to the ECU to actually fuel the engine...

They fail in different ways but if it's not one of the new black ones (6N0 Part number) then change it

Yeah it can crank and not supply power to the ECU to actually fuel the engine...

They fail in different ways but if it's not one of the new black ones (6N0 Part number) then change it

can't remember the number that was on it - I took it out of my "parts car" passat (which I had replaced the switch in not long ago) and it's black in color.

Just seem to "sense" that the times it cranks for very long - if I "lift" the key a bit it fires.........:(

could the "lock barrel" itself be to blame?.

Or maybe the fact that it have that "imobilizer" thingy surrounding it??? (maybe signal related?? - not sure how that thing actually works)

Im having similar problems... :(

tell me if you figure it out :) - I'm trying to hunt down this problem so will get back if I figure out anything.

I'v had tips that it might actually be caused by blue temp sensor and/or MAF even when they don't throw errors.

Also FPR have been mentioned - but I'v tried 2....:)

Mine was particularly bad when hot starting. I've since tried a new engine earth, next up is fuel pump relay, checking the ignition switch, new fpr......

Mine was particularly bad when hot starting. I've since tried a new engine earth, next up is fuel pump relay, checking the ignition switch, new fpr......

alright I'v ordered new temp sensors from VW (I had some non genuine one - but hear those might not be the best, actually the brown sensor coming from the same company fu*** up right away having the fans run at very low temp - so changed that one back to the old sensor), but have now ordered all new from VW......will give you an update as soon as I know if it helps...lol....

can't remember the number that was on it - I took it out of my "parts car" passat (which I had replaced the switch in not long ago) and it's black in color.

Just seem to "sense" that the times it cranks for very long - if I "lift" the key a bit it fires.........:(

Just tried this and i think this is exactly the problem with mine. When turning the ignition it just turn and turns but the moment you back off the ignition key it fires (or at least tries...), really weird?!

Just tried this and i think this is exactly the problem with mine. When turning the ignition it just turn and turns but the moment you back off the ignition key it fires (or at least tries...), really weird?!

not sure it's exactly the same - with "lift" I ment pushing it a bit upwards while cranking.....:)

Ah right mine seems to catch if you back off the ignition a tiney bit when its just cranking over and over. Its only when hot though..

im having some starting issues that sound similar to this.

The car will always start but sometimes tries and tries, tries then dies or fires up straight away like theres no problem at all...and i know what you mean about it firing when you back off the key.

i have noticed that there is a relay ticking randomly while im trying to start and think that its No.109 (ecu relay). am currently working my way through all the old threads trying to work out if its the relay or the ignition switch thats acting up?

can anyone shed any light and save me reading the other 17 pages? :)

if you suspect the switch, remove the under column shroud, take the plug off the back of the switch and test the circuits/pins on the back of the switch with a multimeter, you can see from the red wires in the plug which are live feeds in, if turning and waggling the key slightly causes a fluctuating circuit then you've found the problem, don't remove the switch to test it though, as turning it with a screwdriver blade doesn't replicate the turning position of the end of the lock barrel, a dodgy switch can appear fine if tested off the car, I've just discovered that.

Of course you can use the fact that turning the switch with a screwdriver generally makes better contacts to your advantage by removing the switch from the column, keeping it plugged into the loom and doing just that, operating it with a flat blade screwdriver, if your starting issues go away then I'd suggest the switch is worn and contacts are poor.

Edited by davidwort