Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Complete sudden electrical death

Driving home today, the revs started to occasionally blip + stereo stop + very slight alarm chirp at the same time. When I pulled into the drive, the car completely died. All electrics down, bar a very faint flicker of the handbrake light with the ignition fully turned.

Checked all fuses and relays, battery connections, ECU plug etc - nothing amiss. Even though I didn't think it was the alternator or battery (my volt gauge is always around 12.5-13 volts) tried jumping the car from the vRS- nothing.

Then, when I'd given up, the mileage etc had appeared on the clocks again. Quickly closed the window and popped the car into the garage.

Seems like some connector has come loose- but where?! Apart from the ecu relay, ecu plug and battery cable, what else would have this effect? Could it be the ECU relay playing up? Would really appreciate any suggestions! :salute:

clean battery terminals, and earth behind the battery 1st thouroughly , sound like either a complete loss of either live or earth from the battery, also check the connection into the back of the fuse box under the dash, big thick red live and a thick brown , these are the main feeds into the fuse box.

Gave all the terminals and earths a very thorough clean a few weeks ago. Will check those wires- thanks, Alex!

...and keep an eye for smoke coming from the garage.

(sorry!!)

I'd be checking things like the earths/ECU/battery connections first.

Don't say things like that! :shock: :lol:

Have done all those. Will have a good look at the fusebox at the weekend though.

Thanks chaps :salute: Will give it a good check over at the weekend. Won't drive it until it's sorted though!

Checked the fusebox tonight- all seemed fine. Also checked the engine loom plug next to the auxillary waterpump. This was on quite firmly, but wasn't 'clicked' on. Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but hopefully this was the cause of the probs. Took it for a 10 minute drive and all seems fine. Will drive it to work tomorrow, so that should show up any faults if they're still there. Fingers crossed!

The twist-lock connector is just the engine sensor and injector harness and won't cause total power failure like you described.

My money is on the usual Chestnut - Ignition switch :D

Try wiggling the key about with the engine running. Worth changing anyway for the cost of it tbh, then at least it can be outruled if the symptoms persist!

Thanks Kev. Funnily enough, I changed my ignition switch a few days ago. I'll check and make sure everything's plugged in properly. Been fine today so far. However, just discovered someone at work has hit my car without owning up for the second time this year...

Yeah someone at work clonked their door into mine years ago, but the ding is so minor and barely noticable, I didn't take it up with the guilty party.... plus he's a good 6" taller than me and a few stone heavier :lol:

RE the ignition switch, it wasn't a white GSF one you fitted was it? I had problems with those, so fitted a Black VW one and never had any problems since :D