Sign in to follow this  
Rinse

Coilpack. - QX Components - WASTE! AVOID!

Narrowed my issue with poor running down to one cylinder playing up. Went back to removing HT leads when the car was running and Cylinder 2 wasn't firing yet it was before when I previously did this check... :brickwall:

Can't really afford to buy a new coilpack just now especially after buying maf, lambda, plugs and leads with an MOT round the corner so was wondering if theres any sure fire way to find out if it is the coilpack or if theres any way to repair it?

I'm thinking if I swap lead 2 with the one directly below it I'll be able to see if its just that one part of the coilpack not sparking?

I have had the coilpack out before and gave it a good spray with wd40 and when revving it in the dark i couldn't see any Arching so I'm hoping its something I can repair like a broken/loose wire.

Also I've noticed alot of other coilpacks look different to mine and i'm not sure how to open mine up. Its a bosch one.

Cheers.

Had similar problem with mine mate, i did notice a slight difference in engine noise when i removed each ht from the coil when it was running.

Bought one from gsf for 70 which i was happy about as dealer wanted 185 and second hand ones 30..

Dont think you can split them.

Ah just found out my coilpack is just the standard VW one. Probably been on it for quite some time. Don't have a GSF up here so will have to search for one on the net somewhere.

GSF are showing as over 100 for them now. Might chance my luck with a 2nd hand one.

Ah just found out my coilpack is just the standard VW one. Probably been on it for quite some time. Don't have a GSF up here so will have to search for one on the net somewhere.

GSF are showing as over 100 for them now. Might chance my luck with a 2nd hand one.

118 was for the german make they stock and 60 plus vat for the cheaper brand.

If you are considering a scrapper to provide, there's a list on this page link that lists all the vehicles the pack is fitted to.

Christ that coilpack is ancient. The VR6 uses a Temic amplifer with Beru coils. I've never seen Bosch coils on a VR6. That looks like the coilpack normally fitted to Saab V6s.

If cylinder 2 wasn't firing because of a coilpack failure, chances are cylinder 5 wouldn't fire either as it's wasted spark igniton. If cyl 2 definitely is the only one not firing and the plug isn't oil fouled and the HT lead is OK, then yeah there could be a crack in the coil casing allowing the spark to escape. Did you run it at night to see if there are any voltage leaks?

Christ that coilpack is ancient. The VR6 uses a Temic amplifer with Beru coils. I've never seen Bosch coils on a VR6. That looks like the coilpack normally fitted to Saab V6s.

If cylinder 2 wasn't firing because of a coilpack failure, chances are cylinder 5 wouldn't fire either as it's wasted spark igniton. If cyl 2 definitely is the only one not firing and the plug isn't oil fouled and the HT lead is OK, then yeah there could be a crack in the coil casing allowing the spark to escape. Did you run it at night to see if there are any voltage leaks?

Cylinder 2 Is firing just really tempremental. When pulling the plug on it the engine noise just changes slightly, when i pull it on all the other cylinders the revs drop right down then pick back up completely different. Noticed after taking it for a drive (After thinking i fixed it with new leads) once it was heated up removing plug 2 did nothing to the engine noise.

New HT Leads and plugs so was just going to get a coilpack and hope its that.

Also, Does anyone with the cheaper GSF one know if its the one in the ebay link?

Yeah I just got someone to order one in for me from the GSF Equivelant up here. hHpefully will be all good. Will see when it comes.

iv work for QX most of they parts are cheep china sh!t

Wish you seen this thread earlier! I bought one after checking the website and emailing the seller, both reassuring they are high quality...

Got it today (Only ordered it yesterday at 2:30 so fair play on that front!) threw it all on, going well, until trying to put on the last HT lead... Wouldn't clip on. Came in for some dinner and back out to it it looked like there was a bit of dirt or something stuck stopping the lead go over it. Tried prying it out with a small allen key, get a wee bit out then have another look inside. The terminals were coated in plastic! No chance that the plug will go over the terminal. Go to take off the coil pack to see if there's any way to sort it.... THE OTHER LEADS ARE STUCK! Actually so raging. They must be stuck on this plastic coating thats put on them!

Managed to get 2 off with a pair of pliers but have ripped one of the rubber boots on my brand new leads and jerked my injured elbow in the process. :censored:

Have contacted the ebay seller who is being fair and wanting me to return the coilpack, if I can't get the leads on just to leave them and QX will re-imburse me for them.

Will ripped rubber on the end of leads effect running at all? Should be able to get these leads off but if they're wrecked from it I want them to cover the costs!

thats the problem of not getting genuine parts ( as i have fond out whif my waterpump got a FAI one its be on 4 about 3 moths now its :censored:

have got a genuine vw one to go on )

vw

www.vwspares.co.uk

andrew page

gsf

euro car parts

all good shops

careful alot of pages stuff is QX, ive just put a QX starter on my car and its mint. i sell quite alot of bits of theres but would only use there rotating electrics not coilpacks etc.

So yeah after my initial greet about it i went at the plastic on the terminal with some scissors and a flat head screwdriver and managed to get one of my old leads onto it fine (came off too) and car is running sweet. Shame about these plastic bits this company are putting on them! Will be going to GSF for a beru once I get my refund.