Sign in to follow this  
radojunkie

G60 Cooling Advice

Hey all in a couple of weeks i finally get some cash so im going to invest in some cooling aparatus for my 1.9 g60, then a full tune.

cooling wise, its totally standard. I want to go FMIC, heard golf g60 are the best and have the dimensions core= h, 330mm w, 570mm d, 40mm

could i use a universal mount FMIC with similar dimensions (although then the outlet pipes would be differntly situated) is it that much harder to fit a universal one and what are the adv/disadv to a universal compared to golf g60 original item?

(do you need an rsr outlet if you have a g60 u bend?)

also heard golf gti/g60 rads are better too, dimensions h, 320mm w, 525mm d, 32mm. would this be advantageous over the original corrado item?

in short im basically looking at intercooler options, better cooling options on a budget of £600

You do need an rsr to run the u bend. G60 intercoolers are good, but normally overpriced and most probably need work doing to tidy them up.

Easiest to do is fit a twin pass, inlet and outlet on the same side. Just plumb it in on the battery side. About 90 on ebay normally. 63mm is as big as you need to go.

I bought a universal alloy kit to do mine for 90.

Spend the pennies you save on an oil cooler.

No point shelling out loads for a Golf G60 when a FMIC can be had much cheaper.

The normal cheaper one is a Sprinter intercooler. I had a Landrove TD5 one fitted which worked fine, or as you said a universal one.

With a supercharger, a huge intercooler will not really do you any favours. I found that once fitting the TD5 cooler to my car, it didnt feel as "punchy" due to it's size.

i was cotemplating a g60 one as i heard they give really good performance, i have the opurtunitiy to buy one (brand new rebuilt as the g60 one is) for 420, but that would eat up a whole load of cash. how much did you get quoted for yours slim?

just wondering if theres any difference in performance to the universal ones?

any ideas on core sizes and overall size for a universal one i can get away with? and how about upgrading radiators?

it all depends on the size as to how it performs really, followed by the flow of air to it, so your looking for something roughly grill sized. in my mind this is pretty much perfect in terms of size and ease of fitting;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Medium-FMIC-twinpass-Same-side-63mm-inlets-230mm-high-/220651383360?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335fd8ea40

sprinter intercoolers are a bitch to fit and too big in my opinion for the g to make use of.

bigger rad will help with water cooling for sure, i had a vr6 one on the golf g60, but there was some debate over whether it would fit an early rado a while ago on here. it has the holes ready to fit one so id assume it would go but cant be certain.

but bigger rad restricts where you can run boost pipes to the fmic, its all a bit of a nightmare to plan out without having the front end off and all the bits to hand to see where they can be squeezed in. bigger rad also means planning where to put the oil cooler, common place it where the old intercooler sits, but would be better if its in the front.

be prepared for a couple of hours of swearing when you come round to fitting it.