Sign in to follow this  
rado94

16v running rich

seem to be getting about 25-26 mpg out of my valver which im sure cant be right. had the lambda changed at the weekend and no difference.the lambda was slightly white my mate said a sign of running rich,also get black soot on the exhaust. any idea's what else might be causing this.

not personally but looking at the history the last owner had a new isv and throttle bodies cleaned about 15k ago,its has no mods either that might make it use more. maybe it just needs a tune up? the emissions must be ok to as it passed an m.o.t 2 weeks ago.

how long and in what sort of traffic/roads are your journeys?, could be well coked up, injectors are probably past their best too, what's the mileage and have they ever been changed?

16v's really aren't good on short journeys from cold at the best of times.

i travel 11 miles to work and its pretty much b roads most of the way so not to much start stop as i leave home at 6.30am. cant find anything in the history to say injectors have been changed but the cars only done 68k.

11 miles will just about get the car up to working temp.ive a g60 and i drive 10 mile to work,it just reaches operating temp(oil)as i drive in the gates.and thats driving at 60mph with a supercharged engine.

so your mpg sounds normal.see if a 70c thermosat is fitted,i dont like them opening that early personally,our weather doesnt get that hot.check specfic gravity of your coolant.check tyre pressures.check oil isnt black.take crap out of the boot. take it for a longer drive somewhere once a week(motorway or dual)to get rid of the crap in a coked up engine

sorry if it sounds patronizing but ive seen lots of people driving around with black treacle oil,full boot and near flat tyres whining why theyre mpg is bad which p@6ses me right off(tyres beening dangerous) :bad-words:

hope it helps :)

nothing in the boot the tyres are fine and the oil has been changed around every 5k so crystal clear. guess it must just be the shortish runs. mite take it for a blast up the motorway to clear out the cobwebs and see if that does anything. would be nice to get abit more mpg as the on about puting up petrol again the robbing t****rs!

nothing in the boot the tyres are fine and the oil has been changed around every 5k so crystal clear. guess it must just be the shortish runs. mite take it for a blast up the motorway to clear out the cobwebs and see if that does anything. would be nice to get abit more mpg as the on about puting up petrol again the robbing t****rs!

Roger that mate :salute: over here theyve dropped the price of petrol,now at 1.36 euro.im going back to uk on 8th or 9th of october so it should be interesting on fuel :pale:

give it a good run and see if it helps

Rolling road day is always a good opportunity to get a basic check on the performance for 25 quid.

A power and torque plot can often reveal is somethings up.

If you do really drive mainly 10 mile or so runs and not much stopping and starting I'd expect nearer 32/33mpg overall, possibly better.

Just for comparison, I've done a lot of 20 mile commutes on the M-way recently, with a couple of miles of juntions and short sections of road on each trip and I've just done a tank to tank fill, over 400 miles on the small 55L tank on my 1990 16v and it averaged 37mpg, with more town driving in the mix it's usually down to about 33.