Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Timing my VR, confused, please help

Right I'm confused

I fitted my OE cams a few days a go, all went well, found tdc, locked the cams with the tool, put tipex on the crank pully (as its a Neuspeed on so has no timing mark) and pit a tiny nip with a chisel on to the chain links and cam sprocket teeth.

Took the 263's out, swopped the sprockets, put them back in with the chain on the right teeth, locked them with the tool, checked and crank pulley hadn't moved.

Now the bad bit, I turned it over twice by hand and stopped on the crank tipex marks, slid the cam locking tool in no problem, checked the chain marks against the teeth and they've moved.....

Is this normal? If it's slipped does it actually matter as long as the cams lock and the crank pullies on it's TDC mark? chain feels tight etc.

I stupidly turned it over by hand with the top tensioner out so the chain could've jumped a tooth or 2 but I don't understand why the Crank and cam locking tool are still spot on if this is the case

Should I be worried?

Forget any marks you've made yourself. Remove #1 plug and feel for tdc with a stick (use something that won't leave bits in the engine or damage the threads. Check that corresponds with the pointer on the flywheel lining up with the spike on the bellhousing.

You should always turn the crank pulley clockwise, never turn it backwards to the mark or you have the slack on the wrong side of the chain.

The slots in the camshafts should line up as you get to TDC. If you don't have a cam alignment tool try a spanner.

If you can't slot the alignment tool in you've done it wrong. Remove the tensioner bolt and rear cam sprocket and set it up again.

Thanks for the reply,

Doesn't sound too bad then, I'll put the OE pulley back on then and just set all the points up until I'm happy

Always been scared of timing, hate it when this kind of stuff happens