Pete

Pete's VR - SOLD

You can wax them or look at sealant but the best advice is avoud kerbs, clean them very regularly using car shampoo and never let brake deposits etc build up. Avoid harsh wheel cleaning products

The "lazy" mock up never works, get the jack out! Looking good what tyre sizes you going for? :)

Fitting blinds in the bedrooms tonight so no time. Maybe on the weekend I'll have a better look at it.

I tried an online tyre calculator and think a 205/40 would be best. The rim is a 7 so the overall diameter should be virtually the same as the 215/50 on the 15s which are 6.5 inch wide.

Just measured one on the bathroom scales inside the box, so there's a little bit for the cardboard, plastic wrap and the bolts which are included, but it came in at 11.75kg.

Don't say that LOL I'm confident it will be OK on its own probably between 9 and 10 kgs anything less is awesome that said its only 7j so might be quite light.

Fitting blinds in the bedrooms tonight so no time. Maybe on the weekend I'll have a better look at it.

I tried an online tyre calculator and think a 205/40 would be best. The rim is a 7 so the overall diameter should be virtually the same as the 215/50 on the 15s which are 6.5 inch wide.

Would go 205/40/17 at most, I've got these on my 7" wide winters with no stretch at all, id maybe look at 195 which should give a little stretch pending on how low your gonna run the car? :)

I think 195 will be fine on a 7j and may actually look visually better on the wheel but I think that I would stick with the width of the standard tyres on the VR and go 205/40

Will probably stick to the 205 because it's the closest to the stock size fo the speedo etc.

Plus there seems to be a much wider choice of tyres.Looking at the Kumho 39's for 270 fitted. Any advance on cheaper but must be local to me and my nearest black circle fitter is a place I wouldn't go to.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Don't say that LOL I'm confident it will be OK on its own probably between 9 and 10 kgs anything less is awesome that said its only 7j so might be quite light.

Sorry for being dull but is that weight good or bad then?

Will probably stick to the 205 because it's the closest to the stock size fo the speedo etc.

Plus there seems to be a much wider choice of tyres.Looking at the Kumho 39's for 270 fitted. Any advance on cheaper but must be local to me and my nearest black circle fitter is a place I wouldn't go to.

I went for Toyo Proxes T1R 205/40/17 from Blackcircles and well pleased with them! :)

any thoughts on whether i should keep or remove the spke graphics? growing on me a little was considering leaving on one per side, say driver rear and passenger front???

Leave them for the time being to see how you feel about them, once they're gone.....

Any thoughts on tyre prices folks?

I've been quoted £230 for Kumho KU39's 205/40/17, which seem well regarded on the searches I've made. Anyone using them???

Any thoughts on tyre prices folks?

I've been quoted £230 for Kumho KU39's 205/40/17, which seem well regarded on the searches I've made. Anyone using them???

i started every one on here on the kumhos when they made the ku31's and they were very good tyres for the money, the ku39's have a lot softer side walls and also wear a lot quicker than the ku31's, so personally i'm looking at the cooper zeons next, as had them fitted to my TT and thought they were better than the ku31's in grip and noise levels, and the wear rate is just amazing, my bro did 12k with he's audi allroad and the tyres were down to 6.5mm.

No Mat, I'm flipping skint! However I now have a lovely new kitchen haha and my plasterer drives a 996 Turbo...

No Mat, I'm flipping skint! However I now have a lovely new kitchen haha and my plasterer drives a 996 Turbo...

You have my deepest sympathy, been there many times and moving house soon to do it all again! ;)

Wheels are on, but I REALLY need to fit the coilovers now...

attachment.php?attachmentid=48925&d=1314446941

Edited by Pete

Also I don't know how but the car feels a lot lighter to drive now, maybe the old wheel weights were a bit off or something? Full lock is no problem as are bumps and the ride quality (unsurprisingly on the "stilts" setting).

Also got my 50mm splitter to fit this weekend.

Edited by Pete

Yeah, had a bit of a shocker last night though, the adjustable pin for the steering angle came out while driving. Just looking on here and my bentley manual for advice before I have a go at fixing it...

I have a Weitec coilover kit ready to fit when I have the time and bravery, and I think once the kit is fitted along with the splitter it'll look pretty much finished from the outside. Here's a quick and dirty mock up...

Next up for me will be my longer term plan to respray the car in flash or possibly the new VW salsa red and look to have get a recaro interior along with a retrim in leather. I've seen a ton of Ford Cosworth recaro seats online at a fraction of the VW costs and they look the same to me. Must be someone who makes a subframe to fit etc???

attachment.php?attachmentid=48956&d=1314620227

Edited by Pete

Took a good look at my old tyres today on the 15's and amazed I got by the MOT with them! They have cracks going right around the grooves and look like they have suffered with age as they are rock hard even when deflated they completely hold shape!

Got to say car is running like a dream now with the wheels on, and I got a great compliment from a guy today when he said "Nice VR8 mate"... Big wheels = 2 extra cylinders!

Right respray is inbound!!!!!!!!!!

Had a tesco trolly scrape and bash last week so it's forced the issue (like I needed much of an excuse haha...)

I've been umming and ahhing about changing to Tornado but the painter has pursuaded me to stick with the Flash due to the ease and cost.