Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Insurance query

Right, my car needs to be taxed at the end of the month, no problem. However, my insurance runs out on the 20th of this month, and I can't afford it just yet. Common sense tells me that my car's fine to be on a public road taxed, aslong as Im not driving it, without insurance...however my common sense is generally quite bad.

Can anyone clarify for me please? Ta :)

Yeah.. except if an uninsured driver ploughs into it or it sets on fire... you're obviously not gonna get a penny.

Also not sure where you'd stand if the car handbrake failed and it rolled off down the road or something...?

Yeah.. except if an uninsured driver ploughs into it or it sets on fire... you're obviously not gonna get a penny.

Also not sure where you'd stand if the car handbrake failed and it rolled off down the road or something...?

Ok cheers mate. Yeh understood lol, obv if it's not insured I won't get an insurance pay out if something happens to it. The car will actually be parked on a flat 'residential car park' outside the house, so hopefully no numpties will drive into it or use it as a bonfire...should only be for 2weeks anyhoos

"Please remember it is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to use or leave your car on the Public Highway without insurance."

This is what contain my letter form my insurance when I decided to cancel my policy. So.... Can we or can't we keep car on public road without insurance ??

Is the residential car park a public road?

If the maintenance of the car park is the responsibility of the people who use it (flats, parking area of house estate etc) then it's probably not 'public'. Just the same as if the car was parked on your own drive.

Is the residential car park a public road?

If the maintenance of the car park is the responsibility of the people who use it (flats, parking area of house estate etc) then it's probably not 'public'. Just the same as if the car was parked on your own drive.

Yeh it's council property so Id say it was public then?

If you want to confirm it you should be able to ring up your county council's estate roads department (or equivilantly named department) as they are responsible for adopting roads as Highway* and will have it on record. They might even send you a small map with the Highway coloured in pink if you're lucky!

*edit* On further reflection the council probably wouldn't adopt a car park although could own it. Where that leaves your insurance I don't know. As it's a residents only car park maybe you're ok, rather than a privately owned but still publically accessed car park such as a Tesco which, hypothetically I think would need insurance (Not that you could store your car in a Tesco car park!) Might be best to get in contact with someone official...

*Time for a spot of pedantry :norty: Public Highway is a Pleonasm, as, by definition, Highway is always public in this country.

Council property can count as private, my focus has been stood on stands on a cobbled bit of a residential car park and the housing manager and the police told me it was ok to be uninsured on that spot but that the tarmac counted as highway.