Sign in to follow this  
poll250

Fitting an O2J / MK4 shifter

Hi,

I've had a modified O2J shifter ( I think from an S3) laying about for a while. I tried fitting it for about 2 hours while I had the engine out a few months ago, but no amount of angle grinding would get it to fit.

Here's a couple of photos:

New_308175590.301876.jpg

New_308175654.043626.jpg

It seems like the cable on the righthand side is fouling the hole, but I cant see where else the hole should be placed TBH, and all MK4 style shifters I've seen have the cables mounted off to one side.

Has anyone got an idea of what I can do to get this in the tunnel properly? I know a few people have Mk4 shifters fitted. I've heard Polo units are a lot smaller so I guess I could get one of them, but don't really want to have to fork out again, or lie under the car for another 2 hours with no luck.

JamminstormVR6 has fitted some MK4 shifter goodness, so a PM to him might be an idea :D

AFAIK, it's the shift tower on the gearbox that makes the biggest difference and yes, a MK7 Polo 02J shifter works brilliantly. It changes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd from cold and full bore acceleration smooth as silk and no reluctance (aka baulking) at all. Considering how soggy MK7 engine mounts are, that's bloody impressive :D

I've got a mk7 polo one somewhere that I used to use in mine.

Nice one Phat! If you wouldn't mind digging it out I'm sure we could come to some arrangement :D