Sign in to follow this  
domwells27

Instrument cluster bulbs

Well its about time I sort out all the niggling issues with my car, so i may as well be able to see the time in the dark.

What size/type bulbs are used in the instrument cluster. I'm after the one which backlights the MFA and the ones which shine down on the dials themselves to illuminate them. Any ideas? If i could avoid going to VW that would help as it's a bit of a trek for me just for some poxy bulbs!

Cheers

Dom

yep, change that crappy green filter to red - just use some clear red transparent sheeting, like lighting gel paper.

is this hard to do im wanting to do something like this and the heater controls because they are very dim at tho moment i was thinking of going down the led route but im not much of an electrician lol

that was either very quick wullie or very randome but appropriate

Have been out being literary, now with music???? Saw this, remembered using it to replace high beam led and hey presto. Red wine and memory can do strange things

yep, change that crappy green filter to red - just use some clear red transparent sheeting, like lighting gel paper.

Ah I never did this! :lol: Meant to, I just bought blue and red leds...I wonder what the brightness difference is like..?

well i went through loads of iterations - the best option in the clocks was a set of flat leds sold by a lad on here, three per clock so they give excellent light dispersion. For the lcd displays, i currently use normal blue leds, but when red, i used the bulbs with a red filter. Red is quite easy to work with, blue is VERY hard to match. Easiest is to use new bulbs and just change filters to red. You need to cut a long strip for the top of the clocks.

I did ny dash lights the other day by replacing the filter. I'm happy with the results. I've now done the displays too, and looks great. Like an aircraft cockpit! :)

dashlightsRED-1.jpg