Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Virbration through Steering

Hi all,

Got an issue with my VR. Seems i have a vibration through the steering wheel, sometimes its slight, sometimes slight worse then slight, but not severe, other times its not there at all. This depends on the road im on, it seems to happen on the same roads, but not on other roads (again the same ones). Its not there all the time.

I dont recall it being there before i fitted different wheels. Which did have new tyres all round, but the front 2 had cheap budget tyres on the fronts. The new wheels have 5mm spacers on the front, which fit over the centre of the hub, though dont bolt to the hub. THe bolts go through the spacers and into the hub. But the spaces does sit on the hub, so is central - i know non hub centric spacers can cause vibration.

Also, the steering feels a little loose and sloppy and is suffering from a bit of bump steer. So i put it all down to worn ball joints. Im really hoping its not the wheels, like one of them are bent, unless its just the shoite tyres and/or they've not been balanced correctly.

Any input before i start replacing things at random?

Swap the rear wheels onto the front and see if it goes away.

was going to suggest the exact same thing,mine perhaps wasnt as bad but swapping the wheels round, solved the problem :)

Ive noticed that it doesnt occur until about 60mph, but im not sure if it fades away nearer 70pmh, i'll check that though.

Over the weekend i will be changing the wheels back to front like you said Poll, but ive also got a previous set of alloys to try so i'll stick some on the front. Really hope its not the spacers causing the issues as the fronts wont fit with out them and i cant afford another set of wheel, even second hand ones. The previous set i dont want to run to be honest as they are wide rears and i dont want to fit them again.

I'll have to get some better tyres on the front as i hear its best to have the better tyres on the rear, but will swap to see all the same.

Cheers guys.

Your wheels need balancing properly. :D

They should have been balanced when i got the tyres fitted. They were done through my mechanic who goes down the road to a tyre place he always uses. I hope thats all it is. :D

I had a similar issue on my old Mk2 Golf using cheapo non-hubcentric 5mm spacers (by cheapo I mean the Halford universal fit type!). I upgraded to FK 10mm hubcentric (think FK are the only brand that make 10mm hubcentric) and it was fine. Yet another case of buy cheap buy twice :(

The spacers i use are 5mm ones i got from ebay. However the central bore hole fits exactly over the centre bore AND the bolt holes are drilled at 5x100 so they do sit centrally on the hub. Anyway, i think the issue was the crap tyres i had on the front. I swapped them for the toyos i had on the rear and to be honest the car felt damn right dangerous. So i was advised to swap the tyres diagonally and the car felt better not dangerous nor with the vibration through the steering wheel. So, im going to get some decent tyres for the front.