Sign in to follow this  
VR6matty

Brake light fuse keeps blowing... Solved thanks all

Apologies if this is in the wrong place I did do a search to see where to start and saw a similar thread in the section.

Noticed my brake lights werent working the other night so firstly I checked bulbs both filaments are ok and were replaced recently. Rear lights work but nothing from brakes, today I checked the fuses and found fuse 20 for brake lights is blown. Swapped it and tested the pedal as soon as the switch turns on the fuse pops.

So suspecting this to be the pedal swith I replace this with a new part from vw today only to find the new switch made no difference, bit lost as to what to try next any one got any suggestions to try/check?

All suggestions welcome :D

Cheers

Matt

Had this issue with my rear fog a while back... there's a loom that runs through the boot lid that goes between both light clusters, it had been cut on the wiper motor and was shorting out

Interesting will pull the cover off and take a look behind thanks very much for the info, hope I can trace this as feel really bad for people driving behind me since I noticed it.

Cheers again

Have you taken the brake light bulbs out to see if it still blows the fuse?

If it doesn't put a bulb back in one at a time and try it, if one of them trips the fuse.

That will narrow down where the fault and area

We had a problem like this years back at work and it turned out to be brand new bulb had a flaw in

Paul

Just had a quick look under the cover and can't see any damage to the loom or wiring to the fogs/reverse lights will trace it round to the rear lights tomorrow sorry i forgot to mention i tested it with no bulbs in the brake lights and it still blew the fuse so unsure if this points to fault further forward?

All help greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Matt

Thanks mate just gave that a go and disconnected all rear bulbs including fogs etc and fuse 20 still blew when the brake pedal is pressed seems strange as all other bulbs including the rear lights which are the same bulb seem to work as normal will stop for the night now need to get some more fuses :D so I can carry on tomorrow

Thanks again all for the help

ok, in that case your wiring is damaged or corroded live feed shorting to ground, remove the sill trim and rear quater trims, and inspect the wiring for damaged wires and around the back seat area, the wiring runs down both sides of the car, start with the easiest first, im sure you will find the damaged shorted wire.

ok, in that case your wiring is damaged or corroded live feed shorting to ground, remove the sill trim and rear quater trims, and inspect the wiring for damaged wires and around the back seat area, the wiring runs down both sides of the car, start with the easiest first, im sure you will find the damaged shorted wire.

Thanks for this will give this a go and inspect the wiring going from the front back down both sides never needed to take the sill trims or rear quarters off before take it they just pop off with a bit of educated violence?

Cheers

Matt

the sill trims, just pull off, or using a trim trim tool, the rear qauter panel are screw at the bottom, and back, and are held in by retaining clips, but before you do this, inspect the wiring underneith the foortwell, where the brake light switch is, check its not chaffed around that area, and follow the wiring back.

Sorted!

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice and help it turns out it was a wire at the rear that was split causing the short took a closer look and spliced it back together now it doesnt pop the fuse.

Thanks to volksworld13 and co for the excellent advice it is greatly appreciated