Sign in to follow this  
Neokitz

Coin slots on gearshift surround.

what a completley useless idea. pathetic at actually holding coins...especially now most coins have re-designed!! All they ever do is attract dirt and grime. does anyone else feel the same?

I am thinking of cutting the area out and installing a switchbank consisting of electric window switches and a central door locking switch (using a passenger window switch).

I hate having the switches in the sides of the door panels..late model switch locations were just as poor as they get soaked when water comes in when the windows are opened slightly in the rain!!

has anyone ever done this before or done something or anything else with the coin slots?? apart from putting coins in?

Haha sorry i had to laugh at this its quite funny you really dont like them coin slots do you i never even realised thats what they was for

Anyhows loving the hate for them

Haha sorry i had to laugh at this its quite funny you really dont like them coin slots do you i never even realised thats what they was for

Anyhows loving the hate for them

:lol:

so funny you wrote it twice.

and yeah, i do hate those feckin slots. what were they thinking when they came ap with that!! :lol:

I sometimes put coins there coz I often go across the Severn Bridge into Wales, I only use them for this journey (around an hr) and with sometimes some crazy driving they're still sat there when I come to the bridge! I don't mind them tbh, plus I also have wind deflectors so my switches never get wet :D

ive actually been thinking exactly the same.. am about to get some front cards trimmed, so was going to do them flush and relocate the window switches.

dont know how much hassle it'd be to do though chasing back wiring etc? if you do go for it post some pics up!!

was thinking of adding some wind deflectors as well. Seen a few sets on the bay, do they make that much difference?

an I think the wiring wouldn't be too much bother, but finding some VW OEM switches to fit might be as i havn't yet checked the clearance underneath..Im gonna have a looksy in the polo.............

I LOL'd!

I have to go across a toll bridge on my way to and from work every day, so use the coin slots for my change all the time!

From my research: 5 and 20s are good, but 10s and £1s do tend to fall out.

was thinking of adding some wind deflectors as well. Seen a few sets on the bay, do they make that much difference?

Yeh definately. They stop water coming in (obv) if u've got the window down a little bit, u can smoke on the motorway without ur head being blown off

cup holder would be good to

As long as the space under the ashtray and in front of the gearstick stays.... it's the correct size for a Big Mac. Well designed Mr Karmann

cup holder would be good to

As long as the space under the ashtray and in front of the gearstick stays.... it's the correct size for a Big Mac. Well designed Mr Karmann

Why would u want to put le Big Mac in that space? Id put it all in my belllllllly

Drinks holder would be awkward wouldn't it? Think my knob might be too big though, Maybe if you got one slimmed out there'd be enough room for a drink...

I considered putting a phone holder there.

I think it's still useful now, obviously won't be forever but we still need change for parking and for dartford etc...

I used to use the MK2 ones all the time, the Corrado not so much as I don't tend to use car parks if I can help it.

Best conversion I'd seem is an iPod dock - perfect fit in that space!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67261

Thanks steve. that thread was quite interesting. Im not sure i'd go with that idea myself as I have the tom tom app on the iphone so would need it higher up the console so i can see it.

It still creates an area for muck and fluff to collect though...Im gonna stick with the idea of re-locating some oem window switches and a central door locking button.

I think you think about things to much. They are just slots!! Better things to worry about.

yes there is always something better to worry about. just your worries are probably a bit more expensive than mine haha :lol: :lol:

I dont like them either, I'm going to cut them out and make a holder for my ipod

That's what I've done. Works pretty well.

Just had a look at your thread, it does look really good 8)