Sign in to follow this  
corrado_sunderland

URGENT HELP 1.8t engine flat lining i.e broke down

ok so i get the ko3s on at last today, get it all sorted and take her for a drive and its like a different car, pulling amazing booting over 3psi which shows me issue opf boost was probs the actuator and then all of a sudden it starts missfiring and really violently juddering and more load ya add more it did it, i pull over jut next my house luckily and turn her off to see if it starts fine again and car sounds hollow as hell and wont start at all, get some jump leads on and she fires up amd still coughing like mad.

So i turned i off again, disconnected maf and took it up the road as it started and boost gauge would not go over 0 just vacuum to zero and car was flat as a witches tit, ive just put a brand new n75 on and my impression of runing the ko3s for now on agu qwould be thatll be fine as n75 would keep boost down to standard anyway but i did notice at low revs if ya accelerated hard it would produce about 10 pis but it ya were drving it hard it held it around 7 or 8 but i have no idea what the issue could be as boost was so low :(

Sounds like a blown boost pipe to me. Possibly faulty ignition amplifier with running bad under load. But the lack of boost is classic blown pipe. Did it go bang?

Sounds like a blown boost pipe to me. Possibly faulty ignition amplifier with running bad under load. But the lack of boost is classic blown pipe. Did it go bang?

found a pipe popped off :D i was so sick of working on it ill test drive it tomoro but pipe was clean off so thats gotta be it most likely as i was running perfect until i opned her up on a road and all of suddden went flat amd ,started mising like mad :(

would it not have needed a map for a k03s? maybe poss even bigger injectors?

its getting mapped end of week hopefully it just had to be running right before i could get it done, got me 4bar fpr and everything on car now ready for mapping :D

I remember when my pipe popped off once, it made the loudest noise and sounded like I have just blown the engine. Then the car had no power with loads of turbo whistle. 2 mins later and with 1 replaced pipe we were back in the game.

Don't go thrashing it around with the bigger turbo on without checking the fueling. The knock sensors should sort most of the fueling out, but you may be out still and running lean

I remember when my pipe popped off once, it made the loudest noise and sounded like I have just blown the engine. Then the car had no power with loads of turbo whistle. 2 mins later and with 1 replaced pipe we were back in the game.

Don't go thrashing it around with the bigger turbo on without checking the fueling. The knock sensors should sort most of the fueling out, but you may be out still and running lean

took it for drive today as never had time last nite and still hovering around 4-5 psi, and still coughed a little so ya think another pipe could of went aswell? i work 11 till 7 so im gunna have to look at it tnite when i get back, its got my head in bits now like :cuckoo:

it only makes 4-5 psi? is it running on a factory map and actuator settings?

you must have a boost leak somewhere. can you hear the turbo whistle really loud?

if it makes boost ok, but misfires under load it could be the coilpacks.( or ignition amplifier as its an AGU engine)

if the boost pressure isnt there then i would say boost leak is the favourite, followed by sticky actuator, faulty N75 and finally wank turbo.

any white smoke out of the back?

havent noticed any smoke, and it was flying last nite before it started the cough and today it seemed to pull, bu it was flat and only holdiong 4 to 5 psi where it should be doing at least 7 then under rite circumstanes 10psi from ko3s, n75 is new done about 40 mile and only took it up the road for about half and mile and it coughed a little from time to time, what would white smoke mean anyway? and im gunna have to check for leaks again tonite when i get in i guess, it just seemed flat again

havent touched actuator or anything its standard settings for agu but last nite it drove awsome im just hopinh its only another pipe as im sick of it now :(

white smoke indicates a broken turbo.

does it only cough when you put your foot down hard? if you drive steady and increase the revs without loading it up does it run ok?

white smoke indicates a broken turbo.

does it only cough when you put your foot down hard? if you drive steady and increase the revs without loading it up does it run ok?

when i drove it this morning it seemed to pull ok but was just flat and then once i went down the road and back it gave off a cough when i accelerated round the roundabout and more so under load but is was nowhere near as bad as how bad it was last nite and it wasnt warm so i could push it hard, i did put it in forth at low revs and put foot flat to floor and it still didnt go high boost :confused4:

it wouldn't boost at low rpm. the turbo only starts making boost around 2.5k. try looking for a boost leak. if you can hear the turbo really loud then it will most likely be a leak.

it wouldn't boost at low rpm. the turbo only starts making boost around 2.5k. try looking for a boost leak. if you can hear the turbo really loud then it will most likely be a leak.

if the turbo was duff id cry i think as it ran amazing for about an hour :lol: im going to have to check it tonite when i get in. ill have to drive somewhere quiet just to check it as me neighbours will not appreciate me reving it to death again to see for leak. see if james is going to be kind enough to plug it in for me too and well take it for a drive and see whats going on hint hint 8)

you dont have to rev it to death, just drive down a quiet road. you wouldn't hear it at idle anyway.

you dont have to rev it to death, just drive down a quiet road. you wouldn't hear it at idle anyway.

i found that if i warmed it up and reved it hard it blew out the pipe last nite so thats what i was thinking would be best again to find problem, is there a better way?

The thing is the turbo won't really make any pressure until it's under load when u drive it. U will hear the turbo whistle loud when a pipe is leaking. If u have a little hole it won't be as loud. Try disconnecting another pipe for a comparison

The thing is the turbo won't really make any pressure until it's under load when u drive it. U will hear the turbo whistle loud when a pipe is leaking. If u have a little hole it won't be as loud. Try disconnecting another pipe for a comparison

ill give it a go m8

took the car for a drive tonite and sadly no different, felt flat and would not boost over 5psi at best,car occasionally missfired but most the time was fine just driving like it was holding back and once when i dipped the clutch for a roundabout it cut out and fired up again fine once i popped the clutch, missfire was very intermitment although loss of power was constant, im gettin her pluged into vagcom tomoro and sadly couldnt check for leaks really as i cant rev it with it being so loud. I also dont know if the car seems louder than usual or not as its never ran right until last nite anyway but does seem quite loud and dumped every time i dipped the clutch just about so the mystery continues

ya can make the car missfire if you bounce the pedal up and down im small measures but its always done that and i thought it would be down to slight play in throttle body :eek:

Have a look at your plugs and the AGU engines are notorious for having shite coil packs so look at that. If it's misfiring it most likely will be holding the boost back and generally feel like you have totally foobared it up, quick part change and it drives like a dream. You running standard ECU or QPE?

t

Have a look at your plugs and the AGU engines are notorious for having **** coil packs so look at that. If it's misfiring it most likely will be holding the boost back and generally feel like you have totally foobared it up, quick part change and it drives like a dream. You running standard ECU or QPE?

cars running standard ecu, cleared all codes tonite and shes boosting again :D still feels a little flat though so looks towards a possible lazy maf yet but car drvies perfect once more just still ha me miffed how i seemed so quick for 2 hours and still aint the same even though its osrted now, anyone know if ya can fit the internals from an s3 maf into my agumaf housing as james has very kindly donated one for me to try tonite after he cleared all the codes for me