Sign in to follow this  
joby

passenger front caliper binding badly

The corrado has not been used for some time and iv`e just been to get some fuel and noticed the front brakes were binding in fact the offside calliper must be practically seized on, any ideas on how to sort it? A week before the Nec show too better get a shift on with this :mad2:

Ouch. Not nice.

I can't offer any practical help other than I had a very badly seized front on my VR years back and did the exchange thing with VW. Wasn't cheap but was quick.

I also had a seizing back on the 8v and sent a full set to Biggred for refurbing. Again, not cheap and even slower but I had blasting and coating done too.

Sounds like, if you are able to, a Biggred refurb kit in the post and a weekend of stripping down and refurbing / bleeding etc is in order to be sure of no problems on the journey.

Thanks judith, im going to start stripping it down in a bit ! Good job im off this week! Going to have to start using it a bit more i think

Kip said this morning that I (we) must get mine out the garage to prep for NEC.

Must check the weather forecast for Sunday as that's the only day we'll have other than getting the NEC early enough to buff once we are in place.

Fingers crossed for a dry drive on Thursday.

Good luck

Last year was great as it was dry on the way and dry on the way home, probably pour down this year :) And by the way we are staying at the hilton on the saturday now so should be fun! Looking forward to the show now and the break :)

It may just be the sliding part of the caliper. Take the caliper off, remove the pads and check the caliper moves on the carrier pins ok. You might be able to get away with removing the sliding bits, clean with emery cloth or similar and regrease. If the piston is seized in the caliper housing then its more complicated, new seals might be needed.

I had a problem with my rear O/S a few years back. I always leave the handbrake off now and in gear and chocked.... but it doesent solve the front issue.

anyway i removed the caliper and managed to force the piston in and out a few times using a winding tool.... don't pop the pistons out though it's quite easy to get carried away with the brake pedal, I had my mate helping... I used a bit of emery to clean them up and some rubber grease.... seemed to sort it.... but intend to do a referb over winter.

Stripped the caliper off and cleaned it up and the wheel rotates freely now but its pulling over to offside on heavy breaking surely that must mean that the nearside is not braking properly now

Don`t you just hate cars!! Ive just spent nearly £300 on the TT if i have to spend a load more on this ungratefull piece of junk its going over a cliff :mad2:

Stripped the caliper off and cleaned it up and the wheel rotates freely now but its pulling over to offside on heavy breaking surely that must mean that the nearside is not braking properly now

Yes! Get that one done too! :D

Ive just had a basil faulty moment and felt like hitting it with a large stick :) I spent a small fortune on it This year with the engine conversion and last year overhauling all the underneath bushes and bigger brakes and this is how it treats me :o I wouldn`t mind but ive been under the bonnet of the TT which i only bought 3 weeks ago doing the cambelt waterpump tensioners new thermostat and temp sensor! So im not doing the corrado, instead my mate who is an mot tester is going to sort it, its due the mot so iv`e told him to sort out the calipers aswell!! That will teach it :) Im losing the plot here :cuckoo:

Sometimes it's the only way.

Hand the keys over, prepare yourself for a bill but keep more of your sanity.

Kip was quite violently kicking his 8v a few weeks ago with the header tank problems. I was worried he would damage his foot :lol:

The problem is with the corrado not being used enough but with work comitments and vicky wouldn`t use it for work, Hospital car parks and other people not caring = damage!! :( So its sat in the garage and things like calipers are going to seize up i suppose, Sometimes i feel like selling up and letting someone else feel the benefit of all the work iv`e put into it :(

The problem is with the corrado not being used enough but with work comitments and vicky wouldn`t use it for work, Hospital car parks and other people not caring = damage!! :( So its sat in the garage and things like calipers are going to seize up i suppose, Sometimes i feel like selling up and letting someone else feel the benefit of all the work iv`e put into it :(

Richard, look in the mirror and give yourself a good slap and shout, Silly Boy! :lol: works for me every time :wink: