Sign in to follow this  
James.

Which one to buy...

Looking at getting a new daily. I do very few miles so have decided (maybe against my better judgement) to buy either of the following:

Corrado VR6

Corrado 8v

Mk3 Golf GTI

Mk3 Golf VR6

I have (positive) experience of the VR6 Corrado but not any of the others. I've been using mine as a "kind of daily" but that's about to stop for good at the end of the month (Don't worry she's not being sold or scrapped).

Anyone have experience of running all of theses (long shot I know) ?

They're all similar money to insure. And as mileage is not an issue, then neither is MPG. Just looking to get a feeler for running costs etc.

I have owned all apart from the mk3 8 v and from what i have heard i have missed nothing.

The pick of the bunch for me is the corrado vr6.The mk3 golf i feel always looked and felt second rate comparedf with earlier golfs.

The corrado vr6 is miles apart from the mk3 golf.And returns a good 30+ mpg on a run.

And the big question is budget if you dont have a lot to spend get an 8v corrado as spending little on a vr6 will inevitably lead to big bills. :eek:

Plenty of nice examples for sale on here and edition38.

I've had a couple of Mk3's didn't keep either of them for over a month. Too slow and stodgy! Give me a Corrado or a Mk2 any day.

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=329410

i`d have this as a cheap daily, think mk3`s are under rated... my first dub was a satin silver 8v.loved it..

You and I must have a really similar taste in cars Andy !

Had a look at an anniversary a couple of months ago but it was a little too dog eared for my liking. This though looks very good indeed. May have a quick tic-tac with the owner to see if it's still on the market.

And close by as well...

...Which is nice.

Got the VR and lovely though it is it is not as easy as a daily Corrado as the 8v.

Can't beat a Corrado 8v if for no other reason than there is a ready supply of interior trim bits and places to hand me down lights etc when the VR gets new bits bought. :grin:

Oh yeah, and it's economical. You keep the feeling of driving a Corrado even though you don't have the VR experience but you know that's just tuck up waiting for you when you want it.

Oh yeah, and it's economical.

Discuss ?

I had a dreadfull day in the driving rain having to negotiate a town that was intended to circumnavigated by canal barges. Did return 21mpg which I thought was fair.

Am I right in thinking the 8v Corrado shares most of its engine/running gear with the Golf Mk3 8v ???

Sorry, I should quantify that. Economical in Corrado terms.

No doubt there are many gut less, soul less modern cars that are more economical but......

On a steady Mway journey I can get 40+ mpg no problem. Round town type short journey driving it was still giving 35ish. Though I've just put 205's on having removed them from my winter VR wheels and I'm seeing a reduced mpg. Is that as expected??

I have to agree with Judith, I regularly see 45+mpg from my 8V, and even with my country lane thrash to work and back every morning I still see 35mpg per tankful - pretty good really.

The Corrado 8V has 2 engine codes - 2E and ADY. The ADY is the later one and uses Siemens engine management with an OBD2-style stepper motor in the TB for idle, the 2E is earlier and uses Bosch gear with an ISV. Servicing wise they are all tall-block 1984cc 8V lumps so identical to the Mk3 Golf GTi in that respect.

Running gear wise they are the same as any other narrow-track Corrado (16V and G60). They have 256mm brakes up front just like the 16V, but the 280mm upgrade is a piece of cake.

I'd definitely recommend one if you're after a nice reliable economical daily driver. I liked mine so much that I bought it back within a year of selling it.

HTH a bit.

Tom

Though of course those in the know, with a VR or G60 or their favourite Corrado tucked up safe and sound, and wanting an 8v realise finding a decent 8v is not so easy.

There were less produced than the Storms and not having the 'desirability' of a Storm have maybe not been cherised so much.

Or just buy a valver? Pretty much in between an 8v and vr.

Seriously though if you're after a full on package you can't beat a vr IMO. Buy an 8v now end up with a vr a short while later lol, that's what I did with my valver.

Edit: I'm not doing too well today, I didn't realise you have a campaign already. In that case get an 8v or valver, keep the vr for weekend thrashes.

I think I've read that about 213 were made - does that figure seem accurate? I think in the last 2 years I've seen maybe 20 come up for sale so I think its fair to say they're pretty rare - not that I'm trying to put you off James! :lol:

Absolutely Judith. Greater rolling resistance with 205's. 195's for economy and 205's for handling.

To be fair Tom, owning an 8V Corrado wouldn't be considered rare compared to what it would be replacing :lol: . So I'd be looking for a well kept model at a fair price. Distance not an issue for the the "right car".

Spanners keep getting thrown into the mix though. Had a quote on a new shape beetle for the same money. I guess a weekend of deliberation is in order.

I do like the look of that Anniversary though...

I hate pretty much everything about the mk3 so my vote would be with a 2nd rado..

I've just bought an 8v daily, only driven it about 10 miles so far, but I'm already impressed with it. The engine is quiet but smooth and seems to have more power than I remember from my old 1.8 16v.

VR is potentially asking for trouble so if you dont want to spend loads on it an 8v is the way forward.

I hate pretty much everything about the mk3 so my vote would be with a 2nd rado..

VW sold millions of them. Why the hatred ?

Just personal opinion. they're ugly, heavy and slow.. I'd much rather a Polo 1.4 16v or a B5 Passat..

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot and walk than drive a mk3 golf same goes for an escroat or chavalier or ashtray... or anything of that "vintage"

That said the only veedubs I like are the current Passat R36, and select Mk2 golfs, Corrado and the proper sciroccos.

I've just bought an 8v daily, only driven it about 10 miles so far, but I'm already impressed with it. The engine is quiet but smooth and seems to have more power than I remember from my old 1.8 16v.

Good to hear you are pleased with it Baz. I've never understood the people who slate them saying they are the least desirable model. If it was your only Corrado it might be a different matter but for 2nd car, daily driver they are the best.

Yep can only echo Judith's comments here James, my 8v was an absolute gem when we did the scotland trip earlier this year and returned figures of well over 35mpg even when giving it some beans trying to keep up with Wendy :lol:

Saw the car do 48.9 MPG too one day :clap:

I cant think of a better daily to be honest and i know once you have tried one you'll know exactly why we both love ours :luvlove: although they have both had their moments but then what car doesn't?

Driving position for one.

Just seems VW took a backwards step going from the Mk2 to Mk3 to me. So I'd say Mk2 or a Corrado.

If you like the look of the mk3 go look and have a test drive then find a 8v corrado and a vr6 and compare all 3 then make your mind up.

The mk3 golfs were pants compared to the mk2 and original gti.Too heavy crap driving postition no driver feel and pretty gutless might be slightly better in 16v form.