Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Pre-mot

Ok so its that time of year again and the C's mot is due sometime in December (i think its the first week but i can't really remember...) anywho after the car being off the road for about 2 years before i bought it and rebuilt the head im surprised it didnt fail on more the first time around. Anyway after sorting out a few issues i was left with some advisories:

- N/S/R inner road wheel slightly damaged

- N/S/F inner road wheel slightly damaged

- O/S/F inner road wheel slightly damaged

- N/S tyre close to legal limit

- radiator subframe corroded

- rear disc grooves rusted

- parking brake efficiency only just passed minimum requirements (minimum is 16% i got 16.5%?!)

I also plan on replacing my 9A cams with some KR ones while its off the road, and respraying my slam panel :)

The first few advisories were easy to do, i bought some new alloys on ebay which had brand new tyres and weren't damaged and that was completed in February. The radiator subframe was proving harder to do but thanks to __Andy__ and his offer of his unneeded subframe for free it was obvious what i needed to do. So after travelling around 200m round trip we'd picked the subframe up and I started to collect other parts. I thought the best way to sort out the handbrake issue was to do the MK4 upgrade. After trawling ebay i found a pair for £32 however as soon as they'd arrived I found that one of the seals had a hole in it so after spending another £30ish on a BiggRed seal kit the calipers were ready to put back onto the car. Also had to get the good ridge conversion kit, £31 on the 'bay. Rusty discs = replace them, Euro wanted £84 for a pair of standard solid discs....TPS only wanted £36 so naturally i went with those, obviously i also bought replacement bearing kits for around £20. I plan on reusing the ABS sensor ring as long as I can remove it without braking it....

Calipers as i bought them:

ETKA Corrado.pdf2010-11-05 15.31.06.jpg[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

Reconditioned and painted calipers, much better :)

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf2010-11-12 15.38.46.jpg[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

Now on to the subframe...I hadnt realised how bad it was till i started to take the front end off, im surprised it wasn't a fail, it was pretty bad!

Big hole!

Corrado92.pdfIMG_7944.JPG[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfIMG_7949.JPG[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

(my dad has just had a new driveway, it was finished and sealed 2 days before i started working on the car...its now dirty...oh well! :lol: )

In the meantime i'd already purchased new bolts, bushes and front engine mount and hammerited Andys old subframe:

- New bolts and bushes £36 from TPS

- New mount £26 fron GSF

Much better, thanks __Andy__ you saved me a lot of money (subframe over £200 brand new from VW!!) The only thing left to do is cut 2 holes for the PAS cooling pipe

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_7918.JPG[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

AS is the way with most corrados...as soon as you fix one problem you find a lot more...I also removed plenty of things that needed hammeriting and cleaning

- horn doesnt work

- CV joint needed replacing (hopefully only one side, not sure which one yet) Thankfully i've got a pair of driveshafts with CV joints on them, not sure how good they are, will replace both and if it is still knocking will replace the original one and put it back on

- O/S steering boot has split

- distributor is leaking oil

- random vibrating noise under the car, i think its a loose heat shield..

and the biggest problem

- O/S suspension spring has snapped in half :cry: I have no idea how this happened, or when, or how long i've been driving on it, the car has been making a strange noise so im going to assume it was this, as the wheel sits inside the arch you cant see the springs whilst the car is sitting, it wasn't until i had it up on axle stands that i noticed it. Again luckily i've got a set of standard shocks/springs that i can put on the front to see it through the mot and whilst i look for some more, does anyone have any for sale? :lol:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf2010-11-17 17.11.11.jpg[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

2010-11-17 17.11.00.jpg[/attachment:n3lh4d47]

Corrado = empty pockets *sigh* I wouldnt do it any other way though