Sign in to follow this  
daniboy1_2_3

9a Vs KR

Can anyone tell me how these two engines differ apart from in cc. Im in the process of gathering parts for a mk1 16V G60 engine build and have a rebuilt KR block although the block is standard and id have to use a spacer plate to reduce the compression ratio. After discussions with somebody who has been building these engines for a number of years my advice for best results is to go for a 9a block and ABF crank. I have already bough a bahn brenner integration kit which i know works with the KR block. Im just hopeing that the blocks are identical externally which will allow me to use the kit. Any advice appreciated, cheers.

bores and cams and ports in a nutshell.9a and kr are different blocks.the proper way is to use pistons with compression reduction pockets,reduction plates are a cheap way but not good way of getting combustion efficenty. both cams are not good for 16v g60,you need custom jobs.excess overlap will allow charged gas to exit the combustion chamber before it is properly used.

thought the best was abf and KR head with 9a cams. ABF blocks over here in germany are really expensive cause everyone wants one for 16vg60.just a mk3 gti block. there is Seat block which is the same.

Thanks for the reply, externally are the blocks different or is everything just the same such as coolant inlets/outlets etc. Also are the blocks dimensionally the same or taller/shorter?. I know the plate is a poor substitute for the correct pistons although this combination does work. Im still thinking about which direction to go but it i think the sensible thing to do (and very expensive) is to build a bullet proof block which will give me more displacement. I just need to know that i can still use my bahn brenner integration kit with it. Cheers.

Does anyone know of a 9a engine/block for sale?

externally cant remember off the top of my head,theres very little difference i think.no difference in height,bore is bigger and different crank

get a ABF block and fit a girddle to the bottom to reinforce the block.that should take quite a bit of punishment.

9a has different oil filter bracket and breather unit. See pic attached (KR on the left)

Thanks again. What cars came with the 9a engine fitted?

I'm only aware of a rado and passat but possibly more, some other members will know more than me!

Some Audi's or at least one Audi came with a 6a fitted which is the same as a 9a.

here's a pic of a KR and 6A (converted to equivalent of a 9A) blue block is the KR one.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfcombined_6A_KR_engine_blocks.jpg[/attachment:1ujuk27d]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf116-1617_IMG.JPG[/attachment:1ujuk27d]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf116-1624_IMG.JPG[/attachment:1ujuk27d]

115-1587_IMG.JPG[/attachment:1ujuk27d]