Sign in to follow this  
krnau

replacing ONLY ignition barrel?

Hi, I'd like to replace ONLY the ignition barrel, I mean, only where you put the key, something like this (Sorry too many new words for me LOL):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXvp9jrZefIidw6LRIReqodwIzTpB5lH3u0ii-GGVnk9V6YPUIcQ

Is it possible? Or do I have to remove the whole ignition switch including steering wheel, stalks, etc..?

I've read some threads in here but them all point to the dead wiki articles :(

Thanks!

Hi, I'd like to replace ONLY the ignition barrel, I mean, only where you put the key, something like this (Sorry too many new words for me LOL):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXvp9jrZefIidw6LRIReqodwIzTpB5lH3u0ii-GGVnk9V6YPUIcQ

Is it possible? Or do I have to remove the whole ignition switch including steering wheel, stalks, etc..?

I've read some threads in here but them all point to the dead wiki articles :(

Thanks!

The lock cylinder can be removed, if memory serves me right, by drilling a smll diameter hole in the casting at a specific pont. This allows you to push in a pin which allows you to exrect the cylinder. I don't know the measurements for the hole location offhand but I'll see if I can find the book I read it in. It may have been the Haynes Golf and Jetta manual (Red one) but a mate has it at the moment. Perhaps someone else has one or knows more about this.

lock removal info, it's in the fixed steering column stickied thread, you drill a 3mm hole so you can push the retaining spring on the side of the barrel down to release.

That's correct - unfortunatly it's the only lock on the car that you can't build to match the existing key so ideally you buy it and re-tumble the other 4 locks to match that key number.

does the whole ignition lock+switch+etc have to be removed from the car?

thanks for your replies :D

I'm trying to replace the existing barrel with another barrel which has a "16v oem" matched :D

does the whole ignition lock+switch+etc have to be removed from the car?

thanks for your replies :D

I'm trying to replace the existing barrel with another barrel which has a "16v oem" matched :D

This is the bit I was talking about

right, thanks for the pic. I've got now the hole drilled. I see some kind of thing inside. if I push it with a screwdriver, I can move the barrel out about 2mm only (key in "ignition"), but I can't manage to fully extract it. any ideas?

well, the clip is definately pushed in. I can slide the barrel out about 2mm or so, but I can't pull it completely out. It looks as if it was blocked by somethig else. Am I misisng something?

I've already half butchered the whole thing :|

I've tried to slide the barrel out with a hammer and a screwdriver but there's no way.

I can see the clip passing throught where it is supposed to, but I can't pull the barrel out.

please help!!

WIN!

The key had to be in "off" position and the steering lock activated :cuckoo:

I'm going to the garage to fit it right now :grin:

well, the clip is definately pushed in. I can slide the barrel out about 2mm or so, but I can't pull it completely out. It looks as if it was blocked by somethig else. Am I misisng something?

I've already half butchered the whole thing :|

I've tried to slide the barrel out with a hammer and a screwdriver but there's no way.

I can see the clip passing throught where it is supposed to, but I can't pull the barrel out.

please help!!

See you sorted it - also had a bit of this trouble when replacing mine - I think it's debrie that get "jammed" in there causing it to be hard to get out sometime.....at least that's what happened to me :)

done 8)

and all barrels rekeyed to match the 16v key!

I killed tailgate unlocking mechanism though. I've broken 3 of the 4 "legs" of one of the white plastic thingys that attach the mechanism to the lock :(

oh and also, this 16v key can't be pushed into the tailgate lock now, which means that I have to turn it CCW, take it out, push the lock in, put the key back in, turn it CW until it's vertical and take the key out :cuckoo: how's that possible???