Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

S3 or R32

As Mrs 4 eyes has had her current car for over a year she is starting to talk about changing it, this is fairly typical behaviour.

She is after something "practical yet sporty". Most of the time it's just her and our daughter pottling around, sometimes three of us on shortish journeys and occassionaly 4 up when she takes her folks out. By practical we are talking about a hatch back to get a few bags in, not a huge estate. Sporty means something with a bit of go in it and 4 wheel drive would be a nice bonus.

This has made me think Audi S3 or Golf R32. Budget would be in the region of £8 - 9k.

What do you good people think? Are they very different propositions? Am I opening up a world of financial pain (in a Corrado style) by getting such a high spec but aging car?

If it has to be four wheel drive I would look at a powerful non-S3 A3 quattro - most of the shove with lower running costs, less of a theft risk and no idiots annoying your missus racing her at the lights etc.

Depends what she's used to, but I'm sure a 3.2 or 2.0T is powerful enough.

If it has to be four wheel drive I would look at a powerful non-S3 A3 quattro - most of the shove with lower running costs, less of a theft risk and no idiots annoying your missus racing her at the lights etc.

Depends what she's used to, but I'm sure a 3.2 or 2.0T is powerful enough.

I clearly need to poke around the Audi range a bit more to find out the best mix.

I must admit having looked at the R32 forum there are lots of extremely good examples around and coming from a VW family I'm sorely tempted. But it's her choice.

As far as M3s or 535s, they are great motors but she has had three 3 series already (all convertibles) and wants something different and not as big as a 5 series. If we were after a big car I'd be looking at an Avant quattro probably but we don't need the size.

If you want a 4WD Audi A3 and as some folk have said maybe steer clear of S3 for less aggro whilst driving then I think you are left with 2.0 Tdi quattro or else petrol 3.2. If 2WD is fine maybe you should look to find an S-line 2.0T. Same engine as GTi and TT and a very fine unit it is too.

Right - I get it now - a 3.2 litre quattro that isn't an S3, fair few of them about.

Four wheel drive would be a great thing to have.

If you want a 4WD Audi A3 and as some folk have said maybe steer clear of S3 for less aggro whilst driving then I think you are left with 2.0 Tdi quattro or else petrol 3.2. If 2WD is fine maybe you should look to find an S-line 2.0T. Same engine as GTi and TT and a very fine unit it is too.

I saw a few 2.0T Quattro's on Pistonheads. Think they're just rarer, or maybe a newer shape?

:shrug:

Sorely tempted by something like thishttp://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201046373252742/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/transmission/manual/price-to/9000/price-from/5000/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/quantity-of-doors/5/model/a3/make/audi/keywords/a3%203.2%20v6%20/page/1/postcode/kt212hr/radius/1500?logcode=p

Shit that's cheap for what it is!! I've driven a 3 door model and tbh they're great cars.

Few years ago I bought my wife an S3, it was an early facelift model with Revo remap making about 260bhp. I liked it but she was not so impressed.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfS3.JPG[/attachment:2f4i5wag]

So we replaced it with an R32. Deep Blue Pearl 3 door, the best there is! Anyway she loved that car, raved about it over the S3, drove it for a couple of years and was very reluctant to sell it.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfR32.JPG[/attachment:2f4i5wag]

And so that is now replaced with a Mk 2 3.2 TT. Very nice refined car, similar to drive to the R32 but slightly better spec, also better build quality but obviously that's reflected in the price!

TT.JPG[/attachment:2f4i5wag]

She'd still drive the Corrado over all of them but we keep that for nice days only.........but in answer to your question, I'd go for the R32 every time.....and they're not too much money these days for a lot of car.

I run a mk4 R32 as my daily, great car that I think I will be hard pushed to sell if that time comes. Would have it over that model S3 anytime. As said can get the 3.2 A3, basically an R32 in a different body that can be had for less money. Both run haldex 4wd system regardless of the quattro badge on the back of the Audi.

5184ab54-466c-2a70.jpg

And got this as my baby

5184ab54-46db-00ca.jpg

Maybe biased as we have an S3, but I'd have it over an R32. The missus loves driving it too. She was putting too many miles on it though, so has bought a mk1 TT converible for the 100mile daily grind now. She loves the TT aswell but one wouldnt be suitable for your situation.

Did some test driving today - A4 convertible quattro and R32 Golf. Not exactly like for like comparison but the Mrs wanted to try a four wheel drive soft top . . . .

R32 - WOW what a fantastic car!

Now on the search for the right R32!